Extraction time for fully automatic espresso machine

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
TroyG

#1: Post by TroyG »

Hello all!

I am really new to the coffee world after tasting a superb espresso in Italy last December.
So I upgraded my "pour over" with a fully automatic machine, Delonghi ECAM 21.116.

While im satisfied with it, i noticed that the time it takes for the first drop of coffee til the end is around 12sec, which i think is a little bit fast. But i read somewhere (cant remember where) that for fully automatic machine, the extraction time is expected at around 10-15 sec. Is it true? Should i tinker more with the grind size to get to around 25sec? The taste is ok with me, but far from the one i tasted in Italy.

Hope you can enlighten a newbie in the coffee world. :)

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

The first thing that I would suggest is making sure that you are using freshly roasted coffee, ROASTED within 7-14 days of use. Don't buy coffee from the supermarket.

If that doesn't get you closer, adjust the grind to get a longer extraction. Keep in mind that you may never get to the ideal, but you can get closer.
Scott
LMWDP #248

DeGaulle

#3: Post by DeGaulle »

With superautomatic machines in general, the built-in grinder just doesn't cut it. The grounds come out much coarser than what is required to restrict the flow to get into the range of 25-30 seconds extraction time. Also the brewing system isn't really designed for the high pressure that semi-automatic machines see due to the fine grind that is required. Maybe with fresh roasted coffee, high dosing and the finest grind setting you coukd get a little closer. My father in kaw has the exact same Delonghi machine and its espressos are better than those from my Jura machine.
Bert

anfars

#4: Post by anfars replying to DeGaulle »

You can adjust the grinder setting inside the bean holder to a lower nr. Normally the span is 1-7 where 7 is coarse and 1 is fine, factory setting is 5.. I have a Delongi Ecam as well, mine is set on around 2, this makes an espresso in 26 sec and is a huge difference from the standard setting. Try gradually to until you find the right time and taste.

You might also want to adjust to the highest temp possible.

I have a separate milk foamer and this combination allows you to actually get really good cappuccinos at home.

/A

TroyG (original poster)

#5: Post by TroyG (original poster) »

Hi guys. sorry I didn't check this post for almost a year. But I can finally say that I can now make a decent cup! I just don't know if I do a flatwhite or Italian cappuccino. Or maybe it's my own coffee style? :D But it is a shot of espresso + steamed milk in a 150mL cup (5oz).

My grind setting is at 1, and the front wheel for the ground quantity is at around 3 oclock position. For a double shot, it takes around 20seconds. Still 5 seconds short, but that's the best it can do