Extraction time for fully automatic espresso machine

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
TroyG

Postby TroyG » Apr 14, 2018, 1:48 pm

Hello all!

I am really new to the coffee world after tasting a superb espresso in Italy last December.
So I upgraded my "pour over" with a fully automatic machine, Delonghi ECAM 21.116.

While im satisfied with it, i noticed that the time it takes for the first drop of coffee til the end is around 12sec, which i think is a little bit fast. But i read somewhere (cant remember where) that for fully automatic machine, the extraction time is expected at around 10-15 sec. Is it true? Should i tinker more with the grind size to get to around 25sec? The taste is ok with me, but far from the one i tasted in Italy.

Hope you can enlighten a newbie in the coffee world. :)

sweaner

Postby sweaner » Apr 15, 2018, 10:42 am

The first thing that I would suggest is making sure that you are using freshly roasted coffee, ROASTED within 7-14 days of use. Don't buy coffee from the supermarket.

If that doesn't get you closer, adjust the grind to get a longer extraction. Keep in mind that you may never get to the ideal, but you can get closer.
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

DeGaulle

Postby DeGaulle » Apr 15, 2018, 4:29 pm

With superautomatic machines in general, the built-in grinder just doesn't cut it. The grounds come out much coarser than what is required to restrict the flow to get into the range of 25-30 seconds extraction time. Also the brewing system isn't really designed for the high pressure that semi-automatic machines see due to the fine grind that is required. Maybe with fresh roasted coffee, high dosing and the finest grind setting you coukd get a little closer. My father in kaw has the exact same Delonghi machine and its espressos are better than those from my Jura machine.
Bert