Espresso weight?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Gargamel40

#1: Post by Gargamel40 »

I'm checking web dial in videos. One thing confuses me.

I always thought, i'll dose 18g in and 36g out (1:2) for espresso. That was too strong for me and not syrupy enough.

So i decided to dose 14g in 15g basket and use double spout portafilter for two espressos. I thought i need to get 28g (1:2) out of EACH so 56g together. But youtube videos show i should get 28g out for BOTH so that means 14g for one espresso. Or let's say 17g max for ONE out of 14 dose.

That is ristretto isn't it? But video suggests, that is espresso. And there are many more like it. They also got this quantity from 32s time (liquid started to get out of portafilter after 11s!).

That is...confusing. But probably right for Italian espresso?

This is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_X1QhlkYMI

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

The number of spouts isn't relevant, only the coffee and beverage weights. Brewing ratios for espresso beverages from the FAQ summarizes:

Dan Kehn

Gargamel40 (original poster)

#3: Post by Gargamel40 (original poster) »

I still don't get it.

If i use 14g of coffee and bottomless portafilter, i'll get 28g of espresso out of it in XX seconds time. That is 1:2 ratio.

If i use 14g of coffee in double spout portafilter to fill two cups, i'll get 14g in each cup or i'll get 28g in each cup? What is right? Video shows espresso dial in and he used first option so he got ristrettos, not espressos...?

macal425

#4: Post by macal425 »

If you are aiming for a 1:2 ratio, you should get 28g out in TOTAL. Whether you have a bottomless portafilter or a double spout is irrelevant. Using a double spout with 2 cups is no different than putting it all in 1 cup and then splitting between 2 cups. If you try to get 28g from EACH spout, then you have a 1:4 ratio overall, which won't be good.

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Independent of the commentary in the video you linked, the number of spouts, whether it's zero, one, or two, doesn't determine the "name" of the espresso (e.g., ristretto versus lungo). In other words, the brew ratio is another way of expressing the taste profile of an espresso.
Dan Kehn

jb-0101

#6: Post by jb-0101 »

Whether the beverage is an espresso or ristretto is not about the amount of liquid in the cup, it's about the ratio of total dry coffee to total wet coffee (or beverage). So if you use a bottomless and get 28g liquid from 14g coffee, you have an espresso. If you were to spoon 14g of that espresso into another cup, you'd have 2 smaller espressos. They don't become ristrettos because the total amount out is still 1:2 ratio, just in different cups.

Think about it this way - if you're splitting it across two drinks, then think of the amount of dry coffee as 2 doses of 7g each in the basket to make 2 drinks of 14g each.