Espresso spiced up with licorice

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
fransg

#1: Post by fransg »

A (very tiny) bit of pure licorice powder (dried and pulverized juice from Succus Glycyrrhiza glabra plant) sweetens espresso and intensifies its taste.

John49

#2: Post by John49 »

Interesting any suggestions on how I could order some drop order?

fransg (original poster)

#3: Post by fransg (original poster) »

I bought the pure licorice powder in The Netherlands from an online drugstore.

Jacob Hooy Droppoeder pot (250g) -> https://www.koopjesdrogisterij.nl/

John49

#4: Post by John49 »

Hi Frans, they are currently out of stock, but I found this product listed at a local Dutch shop:Van Vliet Sweet Liquorice Powder 30g, which seems to have a lot of other ingredients.

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Marcelnl »

Drop, translated as licorice, contains an extract of 'zoethout' that also translates as Licorice....you should be able to buy the actual root or powder of it and add it to the ground coffee...I'll pass ;-)
LMWDP #483

jdrobison

#6: Post by jdrobison »

I LOVE Sambuca in my espresso, so can definitely be on board with this

fransg (original poster)

#7: Post by fransg (original poster) »

John49 wrote:Hi Frans, they are currently out of stock, but I found this product listed at a local Dutch shop:Van Vliet Sweet Liquorice Powder 30g, which seems to have a lot of other ingredients.
The idea is to have just the pure dried / pulverized juice of the root, no additives.

0.1g suffices in my experience. The idea is to barely taste the licorice at all while intensifying the coffee 'punch'.

Pressino

#8: Post by Pressino »

fransg wrote:The idea is to have just the pure dried / pulverized juice of the root, no additives.ca

0.1g suffices in my experience. The idea is to barely taste the licorice at all while intensifying the coffee 'punch'.
Folks should be aware that licorice can cause increased blood pressure, especially in people who already have hypertension and especially when combined with caffeine.

jdrobison

#9: Post by jdrobison » replying to Pressino »

So does caffeine. Just sayin... ;)

mckolit

#10: Post by mckolit »

fransg wrote:The idea is to have just the pure dried / pulverized juice of the root, no additives.

How much of a punch do you get? Something like a red bull with a shot of espresso?