Espresso "dialed in" for all purposes?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
iploya

#1: Post by iploya »

So I finally dialed in my Full Cycle at just under a 1:2 ratio to where it is, if not per-se "sweet," at least balanced and pleasant as a straight espresso. I had started out at more intense ristretto range and finally determined the extra volume is what was needed to smooth things out. So do I use this recipe for all purposes -- including milk drinks? Or would I stop the shot earlier for those?

Nick Name

#2: Post by Nick Name replying to iploya »

It depends on how it tastes with milk.

Sometimes I pull my shots a little longer when making a cappuccino, sometimes not. Taste will decide what's the best solution.

Almico

#3: Post by Almico »

I don't find more strength of coffee is what is required for milk drinks, but more interesting coffee.

I can pull a straight, medium-roasted Brazil that tastes deliciously nutty and sweet in a dopio, but more like mud in a latte. I like to blend in centrals, sumatras and africas in my espresso, along with the Brazil, so it punches through all that milk.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Depends on the coffee. It is too much work to constantly change grind for different drinks. By the time you make a grinder adjustment, purge the grinder, make your shot, re adjust, purge the grinder again, you just blew 2 days of coffee.

Many people prefer a deeper, more chocolate bias drink with milk. Often those flavors come from the tail of the shot. Running it a couple seconds longer will pull more of those flavors out. A little of the tails bitter also helps balance the sweeter profile you get in milk.
Dave Stephens