Espresso 101 with Heather Perry - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
CoffeeOwl

#21: Post by CoffeeOwl »

RapidCoffee wrote:(...)Thanks to Pawel for posting these videos!
Actually thanks to Beezer; I only added the final one... 8)
'a a ha sha sa ma!

LMWDP #199

WilsonHines

#22: Post by WilsonHines »

CoffeeOwl wrote:Is she married?
Almost certain that she isn't married.

Advertisement
RapidCoffee
Team HB

#23: Post by RapidCoffee »

CoffeeOwl wrote:Actually thanks to Beezer; I only added the final one... 8)
Oops, my bad. Correction made.
John

Randii

#24: Post by Randii »

Psyd wrote:You mean that she'll come to my house!?!
(my machine is plumbed, needs 220V, and is a four-man lift) ; >
As a matter of fact, she offered to come to my house to train me. That may only extend to students in the Los Angeles area, but you can always ask her. I thought it was better to do the training at the roaster, because we could compare the pro equipment to the home equipment.
CoffeeOwl wrote:Is she married?
(my machine is plumbed, too, but I'm not that heavy )
Sorry guys, she's got a boyfriend.

Psyd

#25: Post by Psyd »

Randii wrote:As a matter of fact, she offered to come to my house to train me.
I was sorta kidding. I get my 'training' going to all of my favorite shops and watching what they do, and quizzing them on technique.
Randii wrote:Sorry guys, she's got a boyfriend.
And they were kidding, too. I hope.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

quiltmaster

#26: Post by quiltmaster »

I was under the impression that the goal was to create froth; milk and foam held in suspension. If the milk and foam separates, haven't you overcooked it?

Randii wrote:Heather taught me to froth milk by just piercing the top of the milk, and letting the milk roll. She didn't have me angle the pitcher, I keep it straight and the wand is held at the side of the pitcher wall. Lower the pitcher as the milk increases in volume and stop adding air when the temp feels "baby bottle" warm. Do not drop the wand into the milk - just listen until the sound makes a deep "roar", which indicates that the milk is at temperature. Heather transfers half the volume of milk to a separate pitcher, lightly swirls the milk in the first pitcher and makes the latte art in the cup, then does the same with the second pitcher for cup number 2. This evens out the pour quality of the milk. I hope this makes sense, as I don't have visuals to show you. I thought frothing milk was really hard until Heather showed me how to do it. She taught me how to do it in only two tries. Heather is a good teacher.

Beezer (original poster)

#27: Post by Beezer (original poster) »

I don't think he's saying that the milk separates out. It's just that if you pour both drinks from the same pitcher, more foam tends to end up in the first drink than in the second one. I've had this happen to me too. Transferring some milk to the second pitcher before pouring the first drink allows you to make sure your ratios of milk and foam are right for both drinks.
Lock and load!

Advertisement
quiltmaster

#28: Post by quiltmaster »

Thanks. :)

HB
Admin

#29: Post by HB »

Also see Can't pour two cappuccinos, including hints from USBC champion Bronwen Serna.

Dan Kehn

malachi

#30: Post by malachi »

Beezer wrote:I don't think he's saying that the milk separates out. It's just that if you pour both drinks from the same pitcher, more foam tends to end up in the first drink than in the second one. I've had this happen to me too. Transferring some milk to the second pitcher before pouring the first drink allows you to make sure your ratios of milk and foam are right for both drinks.
The issue is only relevant to situations like the WBC where you have to serve all the drinks at the same time. In that case, you're going to have steamed milk sitting for a long time if you steam it all at once. Competitors have learned the trick of splitting the milk early, then swirling to recombine and pour later. This results in 4 consistent drinks.

Really not relevant to home baristas -- and not even relevant to pro baristas (outside of competition formats) as a general rule.
What's in the cup is what matters.