Espresso 101: Flavor adjustment diagram

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
Dan Bollinger

Postby Dan Bollinger » Nov 08, 2013, 11:54 am

I made this handy diagram that distill's Jim's instructions for fine tuning a balanced shot. This would be handy posted near your espresso machine. I have a higher resolution version (this forum limits image size) if anyone wants to make stickers. If you do, I'd like a few! Dan Bollinger

another_jim
Team HB

Postby another_jim » Nov 08, 2013, 5:00 pm

Neat! thanks. I've added the diagram to the espresso 101 post
Jim Schulman

kwantfm

Postby kwantfm » Nov 08, 2013, 5:22 pm

Elegant!
LMWDP #602

happycat

Postby happycat » Nov 08, 2013, 9:58 pm

To increase usability, I'd just a couple of things

1 word things positively (what you want to do) vs negatively
2 word the grinding as imperatives as well to be consistent
3 use colours and gradients to support and indicate your message vs using same colour for every arrow
LMWDP #603

TomC
Team HB

Postby TomC » Nov 10, 2013, 1:38 am

Or just leave it alone, because it works just fine and gets its message across perfectly well the way it is.

IntrepidQ3

Postby IntrepidQ3 » Nov 10, 2013, 4:53 pm

Great visual! I tend to mix-up the corrections for grind adjustments. I have it written down in a notebook I use next to my machine for when I forget, but this a quicker reference.
"As you know, an explorer's temperament requires two basic qualities: optimism in attempt, criticism in work."-Freud

yakster
Supporter ♡

Postby yakster » Nov 11, 2013, 1:12 am

Nice diagram, I printed it out on 4x6 photo paper to keep near my levers.

It helped me to review the full text of the Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste thread again.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

habou

Postby habou » Nov 11, 2013, 9:26 am

So, to be clear, with each of these adjustments, one would have the same weight in the cup?

Spitz.me

Postby Spitz.me » Nov 11, 2013, 9:58 am

You're adjusting the flavour based on Jim's recommended 20-25g in 30 seconds. Interpret that as you like.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

Eric

Postby Eric » Nov 11, 2013, 1:13 pm

Thanks for the intuitive diagram - I'm putting a copy next to my grinder!
Eric