Effects of brew pressure on taste of espresso - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
cafeIKE

#11: Post by cafeIKE »

innermusic wrote:Should I be calculating brew pressure or backwash pressure? (About 1/2 bar difference on my machine.)
If you don't know gauge accuracy, you're adjusting blind. When the gauge 'ages', you may adjust needlessly.
Lot's of experimenting w pressure, not profiling, many years ago led to the conclusion pressure is not crtical.
As Chris says, trust your taste.

PM me if you want borrow my gauge. You pay shipping & insurance. Both ways. :lol: .75kg

innermusic

#12: Post by innermusic »

Didn't realize that gauge could be inaccurate - I figured a gauge measures pressure. Babe in the woods that I am. Anyway, this morning I dropped down to 8 from previous 9ish and the difference in taste was huge, and terrible. Then I pushed it up to 9.6 same coffee and tasted much better. Low pressure was more dry. Awful.
Steve Holt
Trent Hills, Ontario Canada
Vivaldi II, Macap MXK, Baratza Vario

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
cafeIKE

#13: Post by cafeIKE »

8 on the gauge could be below 7 on the puck... yuck

cannonfodder
Team HB

#14: Post by cannonfodder »

Machine gauges are notoriously inaccurate. The capillary tube that feeds the gauge connects pretty far upstream from the grouphead will also affect the reading. Before I had the scace I simply screwed a pressure gauge onto one of my spare portafilters. Do not take the onboard gauges as being an exact measurement, but a general reference point for changes. Adjust the machine to your taste.
Dave Stephens

AndyS

#15: Post by AndyS »

cafeIKE wrote:8 on the gauge could be below 7 on the puck... yuck
Doesn't that pressure regime describe most lever shots?
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

HB
Admin

#16: Post by HB »

No doubt that it would describe the majority of spring-powered lever espresso machines. I certainly wouldn't describe the espressos they produce as "yuck". In fact, for some coffees, I think spring-powered levers produce more nuanced, flavorful espressos than those produced by pump-powered machines.
Dan Kehn

cafeIKE

#17: Post by cafeIKE »

AndyS wrote:Does that pressure regime describe most lever shots?
Never measured pressure on lever.
Anything tried below 7 on a vibe pump was less than appealing.
Kinda a flat and 'oh so coffee'

The response was to a post with a vibe machine

Weber Workshops: tools for building better coffee
Sponsored by Weber Workshops
AndyS

#18: Post by AndyS »

cafeIKE wrote:Kinda a flat and 'oh so coffee'
Espresso that tastes like coffee? Disgusting.
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

aecletec

#19: Post by aecletec » replying to AndyS »

I'm not sure about 'oh so' coffee (or what that is), but 'so so' coffee I can empathise with.

HB
Admin

#20: Post by HB »

Split follow-on discussion to Brew pressure gradient of espresso.
Dan Kehn