E61 Headspace Test and VST Basket Size

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by PIXIllate »

In the process of learning and troubleshooting my technique on my Profitec 600 I've been looking at puck thickness in regards to dose and headspace. I was a little surprised to find that on my machine with a VST 18g basket and 18g dose and an IMS shower screen installed I was getting a very deep impression in the tamped bed with a nickle test. Even at a 17.5g dose it is almost the full thickness of the coin. I could drop down to 17g but I'm wondering if this is normal and related to the fact that I'm tamping fairly lightly (~4-5lbs / compressed puck is at the top of the ridgeline of the basket) or if something seems off? I'd rather not give up concentration of flavours as I don't find the shots I'm getting to be too strong for my taste.

Does a VST 20g basket fit in a spouted Profitec portafilter? I could try one of those with a 19g dose. Does that make sense?

Eiern

#2: Post by Eiern »

I have been doing lots of 19g doses in the 20g VST basket with the IMS shower screen. Mainly because I do light beans and I could grind finer with same flow and get higher extractions, it worked great for me, although I used low pressure but that may also be because light roasted dense beans ground in unimodal EK43 tend to go through really fast at the end and the setting I found the highest extractions and clearest taste profiles, and do spritz easily in a VST. I do prefer the 20g VST over the 18g VST but that might change when I get my Bianca as profiling can make a difference in extractions there. And 20g MIGHT be too deep a coffee bed for good even extractions anyways so try it out.

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to Eiern »

Appreciate you sharing your experience. Does the 20g basket fit in your spouted portafilter or just in the bottomless?

Eiern

#4: Post by Eiern »

The 20 did fit in the regular double spouted ECM portafilter I had, and I have read it fits the Bianca too, but I think 20g is max basket size for most. I really like the cleanliness of the bottomless so don't use spouts other than for backflushing. :wink:

Plinyyounger

#5: Post by Plinyyounger »

My 20g vst basket does not fit into my Profitec double portafilter.
Family, coffee and fun.

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Okay, a bit conflicting. I guess maybe the ECM double PF could be different than the Profitec.
I won't buy it if it only fits in the bottomless. Some mornings I just don't want the potential for extra cleanup.

nguye569

#7: Post by nguye569 »

Can't speak to the basket fit for a profitec portafilters, but I do use a 20g VST basket for 18g shots. I found that my dose was overfilling and making a mess with my 18g VST basket.

This is on a VBM Domobar Jr with IMS shower screen.

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

I started tamping harder and now I can get a proper nickle test with 18g in the 18g VST basket. The issue is when I tamp harder I'm less likely to be level.