Duomo The Eight Review - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
LewBK

#21: Post by LewBK »

Seems a lot like this but five times the price: https://www.baristaspace.com/products/5 ... sso-tamper

dak

#22: Post by dak »

LewBK wrote:Seems a lot like this but five times the price:https://www.baristaspace.com/products/5 ... sso-tamper
Before buying the Duomo, I made a couple of homemade prototypes with a wooden dowel and some very thin nails. I tried everything from 3 nails to 15 nails and what I found was, the best result was 6-8 pins spaced in a similar pattern to the Duomo. The barista space one has a lot of pins close together which from my experiments was not very effective for WDT, as it seems to push to coffee around too much and created mounds instead of stirring through it and evenly distributing it. I agree the Duomo is priced a bit too high but at least it is really well built. The fit and finish is on par with my Kafatek LevTamp, which is saying something...

LewBK

#23: Post by LewBK »

There is also this one which has about the same amount of pins for 190 Zloty or $50: http://kazak.com.pl/en/product/kribli-g ... ket-58-mm/

longpvo

#24: Post by longpvo »

I just want to put it out there for anyone considering it the following:

1. Yes repeatability comes at the cost. It redistributes the grind consistently shot to shot, I'd rate it distributes horizontally 9/10, vertically 7/10.

2. It spins smooth, very smooth. I've tried the AliExpress version, it just doesn't do the job.

3. There's a caveat no one seems to talk about that is you cannot perform deep WDT with Duomo The Eight using certain basket sizes (height) and shape (truncated vs cylindrical). The center shaft pin that allows the needles/base to plunge does not have enough threads of adjustment to reach basket above 24mm in height/depth, I've adjusted my needle depth to roughly 22mm for the Breville 58mm Double basket (18-22gr, roughly 22mm in height), I'll be receiving some E&B Lab Superfine 28mm and see how deep it will plunge. On truncated basket, you can only adjust the needles as deep as before hitting the truncated part of the basket, which is probably 75% deep (also depends on basket height). I've also passed info this to Jeff, the creator in KR, with not much support, he just said he'll consider it.Without a caliper, it's a cringe trying to adjust the needle depth against the basket rim/bottom.

4. The brush bottom base works well, however, considering the depth issue above and the total useable height of the brush base, you're more likely to have the pins bottom out in the base and prone to damaging the needles while cleaning. I have to gently rotate the needles without applying downward force because I could feel some resistance (this was with my needles adjusted to the maximum depth of the Breville basket). The tool should be sitting flushed when the brush base is attached, from the second photo you can see it's raised up a tad.

5. My 7th needle from the center arrived slightly bent at maybe 5 degree..

What's the next improvement over this? I was watching a lot of John Buckman talks, remembering there was some mention of an orbital gear design, now that's interesting, and I also found on the net something called Orbital Distribution Tool.

SKJohnson

#25: Post by SKJohnson »

Is the Duomo still the best we can get? My issue with it is that I can make the same thing without the polish. It is remarkably overpriced.The principle is very simple as far as needle placement, but I don't have the time to prototype it myself. Is there anyone competent that is doing this for a cheaper price? I just tried to order the Kazak version, but the storefront doesn't seem to work (or at least doesn't work for shipment to Canada).

SKJohnson

#26: Post by SKJohnson »

I was able to get through on the Kazak site. For anyone else that wants to order it, you submit your order and then they email you and let you know what shipping will cost - then send you a PayPal link. It came to ~89CDN, so much more reasonable (if it works), although seemingly not as beautifully built as the Duomo. They said 4-6 weeks shipping, to Toronto area, based on past shipments.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by JB90068 »

My impressions after using the Duomo every day, 3-4 times a day for several months is that for me, it was well worth the price. It is really well engineered and solidly built. The magnet works perfectly to hold the needles up so you can set it down on the countertop before placing it back in it's stand. It spins easily and it's uncomplicated to adjust needle depth. The needles do an excellent job of breaking up the clumps and after just a few quick turns it has done it's work. Judging by the photos on the Kazak site, I would say the needles on the Duomo are much finer.

After reading about how others got some bad channeling using it, I decided to do a test without using the Duomo. For the record, on the occasions I've had channeling after using it, it's because I'm dialing in new beans and haven't got my grind setting correct. For this test, I used the same blend and my EG-1 didn't vary beyond normal rpm parameters nor did I change the grind setting.

Sample #1: Blind shaker to portafilter. Leveled with finger. Tamped with favorite hand tamper. Result - terrible channeling and a fast shot.

Sample #2: Blind shaker to portafilter. Leveled with finger. Tamped with Bravo tamper set a roughly 18 lbs. This was done in case my sample #1 tamp was off. Result - bad channeling and faster than normal shot.

Sample #3: Blind shaker to portafilter. Leveled and distributed with a Bravo Leveler. Tamped using Bravo Tamper. Result - still got channeling but much less than in samples 1 & 2. Shot speed was normal.

Sample #4: Blind shaker to portafilter. Used Duomo for 4 full turns. Tamped using favorite hand tamper. Result - no channeling and a typical 30 second shot with a 1:2 ratio.

I'll stick with using the Duomo...
Head of lifestyle maintenance.

CanadianExpress (original poster)

#28: Post by CanadianExpress (original poster) »

I've had this unit for fifteen months now. I suppose that's enough time to say I'm rather familiar with it. I honestly can't imagine going back. It was definitely a grandiose amount of money for some pins on a fidget spinner. But the build quality is terrific, and the consistency it offers over time makes the initial investment seem well worth it. You can't really tell how well this thing is put together from the pictures. Once you feel it in your hand though, you'll understand what all the fuss is about. Besides, after spending more on a machine and grinder than my first car, I don't think this last item is where I needed to draw the line.

I do have to agree with longpvo on a couple refinement items. The depth in a tall basket is a small issue. I use it with a 20g VST and it's fully extended. I suppose one thing to note is that I don't believe you'd want the pins right to the bottom of the basket anyway.

The other issue is the brush height in the stand. It is indeed a bit too shallow. But I actually never drop the plunger and spin in in the bristles anyway. I've never had any issue with coffee sticking to the pins. When preparing a puck, after spinning and raising the plunger, I give it a tap on the basket edge as part of my routine. It seems to keep the coffee in the basket where it belongs.

The Kazak one looks functional. I'm sure it will do a similar job. But this could be said about many cheaper espresso machines too, and yet some folks still fork out over $10K for a Decent or Slayer. There are diminishing returns on all the extra money we spend on coffee beyond freeze dried instant.
William

BaristaBob

#29: Post by BaristaBob »

Well I'm now in the game. After spending almost a year on the fence wondering if 8 ultra thin needles on a well made spinning metal disk was worth the money, I pulled the tigger. The Duomo came today and I had a chance to unbox, set it up, and use it on my afternoon espresso. Paying this amount of money for a puck prep tool is not new to me...after all, I purchased the Force Tamper almost two years ago and it's still my tamper of choice. More recently I've been using the UltraCraft WDT (same 8 ultra thin needles) and found it to work extremely well to minimize channeling and produce nice uniform flow from my 18g/20g VST baskets. But reproducibility is what I'm after at this point and I think the Duomo just might give me this. My extraction today was great, no channeling with a nice uniform flow. I will need to get the proper spin rate down for this tool...not to slow, not to fast, but that's no big deal. Time will tell.

BTW, There was a recent evaluation of the Duomo performed by Sprometheus that's on his YouTube channel. It's worth a watch, IMO.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

SKJohnson

#30: Post by SKJohnson »

I'm going to give the Kazak a try and if I'm not happy, I'll try the Duomo. Honestly, I don't have a lot of complaints with my existing WDT-free setup of an Asso - The Jack leveller, which I use by itself to distribute/compress the grind. I know that my distribution isn't optimal, but I'm getting reliably good shots. I've found that my Mignon doesn't produce a clumpy grind, so I was never fussed about WDT. That said, I'm desperate to remove every last bit of variation from the puck preparation and it seems like this type of tool will get me increased consistency.