Downdosing tool - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Elbasso

#11: Post by Elbasso »

If I wanna downdose a lot I simply catch the grounds in a small glass that's on a jewelery scale. After that I turn the glass over into the basket and do the WDT. This is quite easy without a yogurt cup because the grounds do not reach until the rim.
Creativity is the sudden cessation of stupidity.

dsc

#12: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,

I think down dosing is easier on doserless grinders with narrow spouts and I guess Mazzer E-series are the best example of this. The narrower the spout the easier to pour the coffee where you want inside the basket. I can easily grind 12g into a double basket with my funnel-shaped spout simply by moving the basket/PF around under it. It works well because the spout dispenses the grinds into a quite narrow area which makes dosing a joyful exercise.

Regards,
dsc.

Jacob

#13: Post by Jacob »

Psyd wrote:That'd be up-dosing. Up-dosing is fairly simple, as you point out. The trick is down-dosing with an even distribution.
I was talking about tapping as a part of the problem, something to avoid, not as a solution!

cannonfodder
Team HB

#14: Post by cannonfodder »

I have gotten quite good at down dosing (12-14 gram double) because my machine of choice does not work well above that. When I dose, I move the portafilter around so the doses fall around the perimeter of the basket instead of one big lump in the middle. Then a simple 3 light thumps down on the tamping mat levels everything off. As with anything dosing related, I think the grinder will make a huge difference. Some just don't need much fuss, grind, dose and squash while other need more care to make sure the distribution is even and void of bolder sized clumps.
Dave Stephens