Double or triple basket for 16-18g double espressos

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SushiCat

#1: Post by SushiCat »

Hi all,

My new Quick Mill Silvano came with a double spout portafilter. I also got the standard Rancilio bottomless portafilter with a triple basket. If I want to make 16-18g double shots with bottomless, should I put my Quick Mill basket in it or should I use the triple basket it came with? I've been using Quick Mill double basket with the Rancilio bottomless and had lots of issues either with water not coming out at all or pouring out too fast (complete newbie here). This was mostly due to my grind settings adjustments, but it also got me wondering if I'm using the correct basket.

desmodici

#2: Post by desmodici »

16-18 should be fine with stock double basket. As you mentioned, Issues you reference are factor of grind size (assuming you're distributing correctly and don't have channeling etc). Triple comes into play in the 19-22 gram range (depending on headspace of your machine)

It would be helpful to understand the coffee you are using (i.e. Fresh roasted)
(I'm assuming you are using the Pharos, so grinder is capable)

SushiCat (original poster)

#3: Post by SushiCat (original poster) »

Fresh coffee, OE Pharos grinder. I think part of my problem is that it's too much of a pain to adjust, but that's another story. I just wanted to confirm that I chose the right basket for the task. Thanks.

Sideshow

#4: Post by Sideshow »

Your double basket should be fine. 16-18 gram range is in the standard double range generally.

nuketopia

#5: Post by nuketopia »

On the Quickmill + Rancilio nake PF - I found the fit awkward with the QM baskets. I switched to a VST basket (20g ridgeless) and it fit a lot better, plus it is a better quality basket. I used that setup for years until I upgraded to the Linea Mini a couple of months ago. The precision shower screen is also a noticeable step up on the QuickMill too.

SushiCat (original poster)

#6: Post by SushiCat (original poster) »

Thanks, I'll look into VST baskets. Is 20g considered a triple?

Sideshow

#7: Post by Sideshow replying to SushiCat »

IMS makes nice baskets too.

I think 20 grams is a triple, or at least closer to a triple than it is to a double. I also think a standard double ranges from 12 to 18 grams. However, this definition is a somewhat subjective one.

urido

#8: Post by urido »

Hi
I have a Cimbali M21 machine and I want to buy a bottomless portafilter.
I usually use double shot (14g) but searching EBay I can see only triple shot (21g) bottomless portafilters.
Is it a standard size or are there double shot bottomless portafilter as well?

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Bill33525 »

Chris Coffee has what you want. https://www.chriscoffee.com/Bottomless- ... cimbpf.htm

Probably best to stay with the mfg model for your machine.

AcidRain

#10: Post by AcidRain »

You should know what is your baskets capacity. A double basket is a double basket, but is it a 14g double basket, a 16g double basket... ? You just can't dose 18g into a 14g basket. Dosing 18g in a triple 21g basket is also not a good idea.

You should dose +/- 1g of your basket capacity. They are made to produce a better extraction in that range. The dose is a personnal choice regarding the taste you want to get on a given recipe, but your dose according to your basket capacity is something you must follow carefully.

Also, baskets are not all the same and the holes pattern/diameter can change and have a big impact on your flow, yield and extraction.