Dosing: Weighing vs. overfilling basket... - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
malachi

#31: Post by malachi »

I think you'll like the coffee.
"Taste is the only morality." -- John Ruskin

TimEggers

#32: Post by TimEggers »

zin1953 wrote:Ah, but which Vario? :wink:
<image> <image>
Ah you got me! I was thinking of the Baratza. Really either one though! (or any grinder w/ timer)
Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
LMWDP #202

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
EspressoGirl (original poster)

#33: Post by EspressoGirl (original poster) »

I don't have a timer. I have MACAP M4 and like no timer. I borrowed a scale and have been shocked to find out that I have been using 19.5 grams and that that doesn't even overfill my Gaggia basket. This leads me to believe that if I overfilled, I would be way over 20 grams, which seems insane.

Plus even with my 19.5 grams (about 19 after grinding), the fill is on the dose is on the lower side, making me think that if I ever tried 14 grams i would have the tiniest puck in my filter. I can't imagine how someone could use much less than 19 in the filter.

Psyd
Supporter ♡

#34: Post by Psyd »

EspressoGirl wrote:I borrowed a scale and have been shocked to find out that I have been using 19.5 grams.
Depending on the coffee, my full 18 gram basket is anywhere from 16.5 (rare occasions) to 18.5 (not so rare) to over 20g. Recently, I've been spoiled by some Black Cat, some SO from Barefoot, some Cartel Black Market Espresso, and a P.T's espresso blend. Those are the ones that tend to be heavier, in that the same volume weighs more than, say, some domestically roasted espresso blends.
if down-dosing gets you a better cup, do it. If it doesn't, don't be shocked. Some beans just aren't like other beans.
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Sherman

#35: Post by Sherman »

HB wrote:While this comment doesn't apply strictly to you, I'm reminded how often I read of someone who is contemplating spending $1500 to $2000 on espresso gear, and yet agonizes over "wasting" a few ounces of coffee beans each month. Relatively speaking, coffee is luxury on the cheap.
There's a difference between "cheap" and "frugal".

I have no problem spending $$$ if I know that it's worth every penny, to the limits of my discernment. I do, however, have a problem with wasting coffee, even though the wasted amount per shot can be measured in fractions of pennies.

-s.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

zin1953

#36: Post by zin1953 »

Ken Fox wrote:Since I suffer from predictability, not to mention anality, I'm going to just let you imagine what it is you think I would have posted here, and leave it at that.
Yes, but Ken, don't you that think that if one was to . . . . :wink: :mrgreen: :twisted:
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

zin1953

#37: Post by zin1953 »

EspressoGirl wrote:I borrowed a scale and have been shocked to find out that I have been using 19.5 grams and that that doesn't even overfill my Gaggia basket. This leads me to believe that if I overfilled, I would be way over 20 grams, which seems insane.
Scales are shocking things, aren't they? That's why they're so useful.
EspressoGirl wrote:I can't imagine how someone could use much less than 19 in the filter.
Sarah, come to my house . . . my doubles are +/- 15.0 g. (although I do "updose" my singles; they are closer to 9.5-10).

Cheers,
Jason
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
UFGators
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by UFGators »

I have tried all sorts of distribution methods with both filling the basket and weighing and overfilling the basket. Upon suggestion from one of the board members here I have found the best one that works for me. I simply eyeball the grinds in the basket for proper dose, make sure that I dose from the doser into the basket evenly, then tap vertically lighty and tamp once downward with 20lbs or pressure. I have to grind more finely to make this work but the results are incredibly consistent. I have learned through much headache that keeping it simple works the best!