Dosing less than level with the rim of the basket - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
HB
Admin

#31: Post by HB »

gscace wrote:...buy one of those cheesy fiberglass body repair kits with the red plastic squeegies in them. When you get home, throw away everything except the squeegies.
I bet plastic bowl scrapers from most kitchenware or dollar stores would work too.
Dan Kehn

georgew

#32: Post by georgew »

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post.

I made mine by cutting a wine bottle cork in half and then using dressmakers pins. Works fine.

As regards the dosing problems I find that using Monsooned creates particular difficulties, in that the fluffy nature of the grounds means that it is far too easy to overdose. I usually dose with half the load and then use my leveller to distribute before a light tamp around the edges and then finishing the load and tamping proper. What concerns me at the moment is the discrepancy of flow between my first and second shot while using the same techniques for both. Only difference I can see is that the pf is wiped clean and dry with a paper towel between shots.

cafeIKE

#33: Post by cafeIKE replying to georgew »

How many leftover grounds remain from the day before?
Try grinding a half dose to clear the stale grounds before your first shot.

georgew

#34: Post by georgew replying to cafeIKE »

None. The grounds are cleared before using the grinder.

cafeIKE

#35: Post by cafeIKE »

gscace wrote:simple as dirt and it WORKS. Make different ones with different curves for different amounts of underdosing.
I've had this longer than dirt and only one tool is required. Sadly, I can't remember from whence it came :cry:

dsc

#36: Post by dsc »

Hi,

Does the curve on the tool have to be the same radius as the curve on my convex tamper? If they are different how does it influence the extraction? I already have a curved tool, that is the same as my tamper, but it leaves too much coffee inside the basket, so I was thinking of using something with a smaller radius.

Cheers,
dsc.

DavidMLewis

#37: Post by DavidMLewis »

HB wrote:I bet plastic bowl scrapers from most kitchenware or dollar stores would work too.
Hi Dan,

I think I may have said this before, but for the likes of us, this is indispensible. Go to http://www.use-enco.com/ and search for part number 406-0330. It's a 14-piece assortment of plastic shim stock, 5" x 20", in thicknesses ranging from 0.0005" to 0.030", for about $35 with shipping. It's easy to score with a utility knife and then break off. In this case, using a bunch of plates from the kitchen as templates to cut around, I was able to make a nice selection in about five minutes.

Best,
David

thejaneofalltrades

#38: Post by thejaneofalltrades »

cafeIKE wrote:I've had this longer than dirt and only one tool is required. Sadly, I can't remember from whence it came :cry:
<image>
Looks like a painter's palette.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#39: Post by cannonfodder »

Try a flexible cutting board. I have a couple in the cutting board cupboard so I may just cut off the end of one and try. Just use a saucer or plate to trace the curve and cut with some sharp scissors. You could also try a set of French Curves from a drafting supply store, I may even have some of those still lying around in the college boxes.
Dave Stephens