Does espresso shot time include preinfusion time

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Chazz

#1: Post by Chazz »

I am somewhat new to espresso, but after much browsing it seems that 18gm coffee,
36gm out in 30 sec is a common routine. My question: does this include preinfusion
time (usually 8-9 seconds for me) or do I begin timing when the first drops appear from the portafilter?

Sideshow

#2: Post by Sideshow »

There are different ways of measuring floating around. I personally time it from when the pump activates. I do a little "preinfusion" on my e61 by engaging the lever only partially before flipping it all the way, at which time I begin to count. Some people do it my way, others when the first water touches the coffee, others when the first drop falls. The important thing is to be consistent and experiment to find what works for your technique and coffee.

Radio.YYZ

#3: Post by Radio.YYZ »

pre-infusion that you do with half of e61 handle to saturate the puck with coffee is not included in full running time of the shot. I would suggest don't use 1:2 ratio as set in stone, i would do a salami shot to see what ratio works best with your coffee beans and come up with a ratio you like. Myself and few others do 1:1.5.

For time i measure by: Total time = (lever pull to first drop)/2 + end of lever pull.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

Radio.YYZ wrote:I would suggest don't use 1:2 ratio as set in stone
Boy, do I agree with that. In fact, I'd expand it to nothing is set in stone. There are so many variables in making espresso...any coffee really...that, at best, most of the 'rules' we hear and write about are merely guidelines. Just a rough guide for the novice indicating where to start. The only thing that really matters is your personal taste and how close you come to getting that into the cup. Experiment. Find what you like. Enjoy!

aabushan

#5: Post by aabushan »

I measure it from first drip of coffee. so when i set pre-infusion to 5s, my total extraction time would be 35 seconds for 1:2 ratio by this i achieve 30 seconds with pump on 9bar. As others mentioned this is just a starting point you have to play with the timings to achieve the best shot matching your coffee.

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by LBIespresso »

Chazz wrote:I am somewhat new to espresso, but after much browsing it seems that 18gm coffee,
36gm out in 30 sec is a common routine. My question: does this include preinfusion
time (usually 8-9 seconds for me) or do I begin timing when the first drops appear from the portafilter?
I think you ask a great question here. If you were hoping that there was some unspoken standard that you were unaware of, sadly, there isn't. I too found that confusing at first.

For myself and when I communicate with others I say it like this:

Geshe Botto (Barrington) - with Mono Flat and Cremina
Espresso 14.0 in 24 out in 46 with 10 preinfuse Grind 3.25 Temp 80

Pretty wordy. I know, but you can see how 1:1.7 in 46 seconds is not that useful.
LMWDP #580