Do you use grooming/ distribution puck tools? Do you like?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
3cordcreations

Postby 3cordcreations » May 08, 2018, 9:40 am

Wanting to see who uses the grooming/ distribution tools for leveling the puck? If you have one, what brand/ style and do you see a benefit in workflow and puck results? I've been looking at the new style Artpresso has called Primo.
Thanks!

Prescott CR

Postby Prescott CR » May 08, 2018, 10:47 am

I bought an OCD for one of my customers that has a Compak F8 since it tends to dump a mound of coffee in the middle of the basket. I *beleive* it is helping. This particular restaurant has a ton of people using the espresso machine and trying to keep everyone trained is challenging.

Then I got some of the cheap knock-offs with 3 vanes (from eBay) and sadly I can't say the OCD was better. Haven't tried the chisel.

For grins I tried using the grooming tools without tamping afterwards. I weigh each dose out and still got some inconsistent results doing things this way.

What works every time for me is the Lyn Weber Shaker. I'm using the HG-1 but it will work with any grinder. Sadly, it's a bit much to ask of a retail establishment, which is why I gave that restaurant an OCD and not the shaker. Still, at home you have time to use it.

Hadn't used the Primo, looks very nice. Also looks very expensive.

Oh, the Barista Hustle guys were experimenting with a tool (more from distribution vs leveling) that uses needles. That looks promising.
-Richard

*sigh*

Postby *sigh* » May 08, 2018, 11:06 am

You'll get a lot of mixed opinions.

I have one of the cheap 3 vane ones that Denis includes with the Monolith grinders. I had been using it since I got the grinder last August, but I stopped about a month ago. I still RDT/WDT, but my pours have gotten consistently better.

I also switch out coffees a lot, and some coffees definitely need some adjustment on the depth the tool is set to (which I never bothered with). I think there's a time and a place for them, but they don't make things universally better.

Prescott CR

Postby Prescott CR » replying to *sigh* » May 08, 2018, 11:41 am

Good point- I switch coffees often as well, should have mentioned that.
-Richard

cannonfodder
Team HB

Postby cannonfodder » May 08, 2018, 12:11 pm

I have used many things over the past couple decades. My conclusion is the best tool for the job is attached to your hand. A finger works wonders, you never loos it and it is a wonderful multitask'er.
Dave Stephens

ncrc51

Postby ncrc51 » May 08, 2018, 12:49 pm

I use a chisel shape grooming tool and puck style tamper with my Vivaldi. I like the consistent results I get with this approach.

3cordcreations

Postby 3cordcreations » May 08, 2018, 1:03 pm

Thanks for replies,

I knew there would be varied opinions but wanted to see if they were consistent one way or the other...

I agree many of these like Artpresso, SAI Wedge, and OCD are pretty expensive that's why I'm curious.

I don't see it needing to tamp to a set depth but provide a flat smooth surface to tamp on...

Roger

Marshall

Postby Marshall » May 08, 2018, 3:40 pm

Although I was a long time skeptic of such tools, my curiosity got the best of me when I saw all the baristas using a Pullman Chisel at the LM Cafe in Seattle last month. So I bought one. I can't say if it's the best, since it's the only one I have ever used. But I can say it has made a dramatic improvement in the quality and consistency of my shots. Whichever tool you choose, be sure it is adjustable for different heights of coffee beds.
Marshall
Los Angeles

tohenk2

Postby tohenk2 » May 08, 2018, 3:57 pm

cannonfodder wrote:I have used many things over the past couple decades. My conclusion is the best tool for the job is attached to your hand. A finger works wonders, you never loos it and it is a wonderful multitask'er.

As long as you're carefull with the lathe that is :)

tohenk2

Postby tohenk2 » May 08, 2018, 4:04 pm

check out this video from Costas of Sweden - I found it very enlightening what happens with chisel like tools if you keep getting deeper.
I think it is a further development / cross of a tamper and a grooming tool.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BheCgA0jtMp/?taken-by=costas_of_sweden