Do you use grooming/ distribution puck tools? Do you like? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » May 12, 2018, 8:08 am

pcrussell50 wrote:Especially with challenging super light roasts, and even more so when I'm using a VST basket which adds yet more challenge.

I switch coffees frequently, and sometimes you need to adjust the tool depth for each. No biggie. Each adjustment takes under 15 seconds. I made a mark with a sharpie on the threaded stud, and one on the female threaded handle, under the top cap where you can't see it.

-Peter

Peter, why do you think the VST is more challenging; is it the greater number of holes going all the way to the edges? I also agree the distribution tools are excellent part of the workflow and follow the same as you. If I ever have an issue it's that the group head isn't fully clean.

pcrussell50

Postby pcrussell50 » replying to EvergreenBuzzBuzz » May 12, 2018, 9:22 am

Hydrodynamically, I can't say why. But we already know that things that force ever finer grinding (like super light roasts), tend to run thinner out of a bottomless portafilter, and spritz more. If you were to compare a VST basket back to back with another precision basket but with a more traditional, (slower) flow rate, using super light beans, you would find that you have to grind finer-still and get an even thinner runnier tail, with again a wee bit more tendency to spritz.

So basically, I agree with your guess as to why.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

3cordcreations

Postby 3cordcreations » May 12, 2018, 9:32 am

EvergreenBuzzBuzz wrote:Peter, why do you think the VST is more challenging; is it the greater number of holes going all the way to the edges? I also agree the distribution tools are excellent part of the workflow and follow the same as you. If I ever have an issue it's that the group head isn't fully clean.

I have also heard it has to do with the straight walls of the basket and not being tapered like traditional baskets. It makes puck prep even more critical.
I have heard of some people switching back to stock after having a VST, and some really like them. I will be trying an IMS soon.

EvergreenBuzzBuzz

Postby EvergreenBuzzBuzz » May 12, 2018, 1:05 pm

Peter and Roger,

Thanks for your responses and for the OP, I think the workflow is important and that the distribution tool is essential for the VSTs. I just did a shot with a finer grind on my VST and it was gorgeous. BTW there is a taper on the VSTs, although not as pronounced as the Slayer basket. The Slayer basket is for sure more forgiving with the holes not going fully to the sides and in more of flower shape than the VST's circular pattern. The Slayer basket also pulled a great shot so the workflow prep is an essential part.

Michael