Do you ever use steam level lower than 100%?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
boren

Postby boren » Jul 08, 2018, 8:13 am

I find that I get the best result when using the steam knobs as on/off switches - turn it enough for 100% power, then turn off completely when done. Is there any use for lower than 100% steam level? When and how do you use it this way, if at all?

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Jul 08, 2018, 8:22 am

I use less then full power when steaming small amounts of milk that would be blown out of the pitcher if I opened the valve fully.
LMWDP 267

boren

Postby boren » Jul 08, 2018, 8:28 am

This makes sense, but personally I've never been able to get good flow/circulation when the steam power is less than maximum, even with small pitchers. I wonder what I might be doing wrong.

Do you change the power while steaming (i.e. different level for stretching and texturing the milk) or do you just try to keep it constant?

bettysnephew

Postby bettysnephew » Jul 08, 2018, 9:04 am

Boren:
I also have a Bosco like JohnB and use reduced steam flow for smaller amounts of dairy. I think this may be due to the big 6 liter boiler the Bosco has and the prodigious mount of dry steam it can produce. When I was using my VBM Domobar I generally had to steam wide open to get good results. Just my observations between the 2 machines.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

JohnB.

Postby JohnB. » Jul 08, 2018, 12:02 pm

Looking at the specs of your EVO I see that it has a .75 liter boiler so I'm not surprised that you would need to keep the valve wide open to get good results. As David mentioned our Boscos have a 6 liter boiler & my usual steaming machine, the Speedster, has a 3.5 liter steam boiler set to 2.1 bar.
LMWDP 267

ira

Postby ira » Jul 08, 2018, 3:34 pm

On my Brewtus with its one hole tip I always use full steam, on my Rancilio with its 11 liter boiler and a small pitcher, full steam requires a lot of attention or it gets really messy. It is much easier to get good quality milk on the bigger machine.

Ira