Do you clean your tamper base periodically? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
mrjag

#11: Post by mrjag »

I have a microfiber towel that I set mine on in between uses to prevent the base from getting scuffed up. The fibers seem to keep the bottom clean.

tohenk2

#12: Post by tohenk2 »

Sideshow wrote:Yeah? That works better than a cloth?
Don't know if it works *better*. But it works for me (and sure looks and feels clean!)
Used a piece of leather from an old couch that was going to the trash btw, so it was also recycling/el cheapo :D

Charlene

#13: Post by Charlene »

About once I week I switch the tamper from normal to Cleaning Mode which commands the drive motor circuit to slowly extend the tamping piston.

Then, I clean off the grinds and switch the tamper out of Cleaning Mode and test it's double-tap tamp by depressing the portafilter contact switch from the side so I don't get a finger between the tamping piston and the portafilter rail.

I've removed the tamping piston several times over the last six months but there is never more than the equiv of a small fraction of a gram of grinds.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#14: Post by cannonfodder »

Just wipe it with a towel now and then. Unless you have a porous or rough base for some reason the coffee oil transfer is minor (or use dark oily roasted coffee). I just wipe it with a towel when i do my weekly backflush. I have polished the bases on my stainless tampers, even took one my by buffing wheels to mirror finish it. It makes no difference.
Dave Stephens