Do we really need to tamp after distribution

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Kemo_88

#1: Post by Kemo_88 »

The title speaks it.....

So, for me, the optimum dose for a certain basket is what gives a tamped puck just under the shower screen with the correct tamp pressure.

What defines correct tamp??, How can we optain a cosistency tamping every time?,

Distribution tools do tamping as well while it distributes, both, with the dose and grind size fixed we can vary the tamping pressure by adjusting the distributor depth .

My experiments always showed a slower extraction when relying on the distribution only using same dose same everything.
I am gussing distributing while tamping with the same tool gives a very iniform homogenous piece of puck.

What is your thoughts??

pcrussell50

#2: Post by pcrussell50 »

I don't. I set my distribution tool to give me the right head space depth and that provides all the compression necessary, IME.

Every so often I do a light tamp just to see if it does anything. It rarely does.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

Distribution tool only.

Kemo_88 (original poster)

#4: Post by Kemo_88 (original poster) »

pcrussell50 wrote:I don't. I set my distribution tool to give me the right head space depth and that provides all the compression necessary, IME.

Every so often I do a light tamp just to see if it does anything. It rarely does.

-Peter
Exactly,, this first came to my mind when i found that the tamper no longer goes down after distribution..

Samcanadian

#5: Post by Samcanadian »

I just bought a coffee leveling tool, an the first time I tried with it I actually forgot to tamp and ended up with a quick flow/gusher. Tried again after and tamped, and it was fine. I mean, based on my VERY LIMITED evidence I'll probably continue to tamp, but I've seen multiple videos/read different peoples advice saying you don't necessarily need to.

lagoon

#6: Post by lagoon »

Samcanadian wrote:I mean, based on my VERY LIMITED evidence I'll probably continue to tamp, but I've seen multiple videos/read different peoples advice saying you don't necessarily need to.
It really depends on the depth setting on the leveller.

If it's barely skimming the surface of the grounds, there's almost no compaction. To the other end, if the leveller is set to deeply penetrate the grounds, then a degree of compaction is achieved as part of the levelling process.

So what is the right depth? I've seen that Pullman provide a recommendation as follows:

After use of the chisel tool, if you do choose to tamp, you should be able to compact the grounds by approx 2-3mm with the tamper.

Kemo_88 (original poster)

#7: Post by Kemo_88 (original poster) »

lagoon wrote:It really depends on the depth setting on the leveller.

So what is the right depth?
The right depth is what would gives the right shot like you do with a tamper, by trial and error changing the depth And keep the dose fixed, because it could get a little tricky, if the dose changes you will end up with a different tamp force, because you depend on the distance\depth to achieve the correct force, if the dose for some reason gets lower you will end up with lower tamp force.

Denis

#8: Post by Denis »

Most distribution tools are only 58mm. A ridge of coffee remains on the edge.

There is a study with data showing a 58.4 or 58.5 tamper will provide better extraction than 58mm. So tamping with 58mm stuff is a no go.

Turbo Ron

#9: Post by Turbo Ron »

leveler only.

CwD

#10: Post by CwD »

Denis wrote:Most distribution tools are only 58mm. A ridge of coffee remains on the edge.

There is a study with data showing a 58.4 or 58.5 tamper will provide better extraction than 58mm. So tamping with 58mm stuff is a no go.
There's also every study involving levelers showing they're neutral at best and probably worsen extraction but for some reason people insist on using them over a simple dissecting needle.