Distribution

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Kristijan

#1: Post by Kristijan »

I recently bought botomless portafilter and tamper, but i underestimated the need for distribution tool :( . Can you guys share some methods/techniques for espresso distribution? What works best for you?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

You can get by, by pushing a few fine sewing needles into a wine cork, which is all I've ever used. The cork serves as a handle. Most commercially make distributors are like this and have four to six needle-like prongs arranged in a circle. Frankly, this is all you need; I was going to buy a fancy one with a nice wooden handle until I realized that I was chasing fashion over form. They look like this
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09GYP ... F5UNV&th=1
They don't preclude the use of a tamper.

I also have a cloverleaf distributor, which I liked at first, but have given up on. It looks like this
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01NAQ ... AW0D0&th=1
It distributes and can also be used to tamp, if adjusted properly.

Breville has one called the razor, which used to come with some of their machines. It looks like this
https://www.espressoplanet.com/coffee-a ... 870XL.html
I had several and never used them, thinking they were next to useless. Nevertheless, some folks like them. Again, you still need to tamp.

Most of the time, I use none of the above. My grinders produce reasonably fluffy grinds, especially my Sette. I just give the portafilter a few bumps to distribute, tamp using the compass rose technique (slight off vertical light tamps N-S-E-W before the final tamp) and go.

michael

#3: Post by michael »

Very cool stuff @sworksdesign.com 8)

mckolit

#4: Post by mckolit »

A proper wdt tool is important. Cork with needles as mentioned or something you can print out if you have a 3d printer. Otherwise there are plenty you can buy online. Those spinner distribution tools help also to get a nice level bed prior to tamping.

SandraF

#5: Post by SandraF »

I bought the one from Levercraft as my first and only WDT tool. Like it a lot & use it every shot.

https://levercraftcoffee.com/collection ... 4346267810

daviddecristoforo

#6: Post by daviddecristoforo »

You don't need to spend forty bucks on a special tool. Nor do you have to content yourself with something crude like sewing needles stuck in a cork. Just get one of those cheap small wire whisks like most grocery stores sell. Clip off the loops and you have a nice WDT tool for a couple of bucks.
★ Helpful

mckolit

#7: Post by mckolit »

I worked with a whisk where I cut off the ends for a quick wdt tool. It does break up clumps, but my shots really improved once I got a wdt tool with the thin needles.

DamianWarS

#8: Post by DamianWarS »

Kristijan wrote:I recently bought botomless portafilter and tamper, but i underestimated the need for distribution tool :( . Can you guys share some methods/techniques for espresso distribution? What works best for you?
WDT tool is must addition when speaking on distribution
@jkim_makes (IG) makes a credit card 3D print out WDT tools shipped with the needles for $7. they used to be $1 but he was getting too many orders and had to increase the price. he makes another one for $10 or you can check them out at thingiverse and print them out yourself (you just need to get the needles yourself too)

okmed

#9: Post by okmed »

Here's a bargain distribution tool from Lance Hedrick.

JR_Germantown

#10: Post by JR_Germantown »

okmed wrote:Here's a bargain distribution tool from Lance Hedrick.
I've never been a fan of "WDT", but Lance may yet convince me. I've gotten pretty good results following Matt Perger's methods. I may have to give this a try.