Digital espresso or a way to consistency - Page 11

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
erics
Supporter ★

#101: Post by erics »

I do realize this is a little OT but . . . a US penny is speced at 2.500 grams and a US nickel is 5.000 grams.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?a ... ifications
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

tekomino (original poster)

#102: Post by tekomino (original poster) »

That is great tip Eric and easy way to check the accuracy of the scale quickly. Mine was dead on precise.

MattJ

#103: Post by MattJ »

even the mint uses metric

but a dollar bill is 6 inches long

cannonfodder
Team HB

#104: Post by cannonfodder »

erics wrote:I do realize this is a little OT but . . . a US penny is speced at 2.500 grams and a US nickel is 5.000 grams.

Now that is one of the few useful bits of information in this thread. I will have to remember that one. I dont know that I would rely on that as a substitute for a calibration weight, but it would be a quick way to see if a scale is close. I am sure there is a couple tenths of a gram tolerance but it should be close enough for a ball park check.
Dave Stephens

da gino

#105: Post by da gino »

I always figure if you use five or more it should all balance out (forgive the pun).

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#106: Post by mitch236 »

What people don't understand about scales is that unless you are trying to involve a third party, it doen't matter if the scale is accurate. It is far more important to be consistent. If 16gm on your scale produces the best tasting shot, who cares if your scale is off by 1gm, as long as the same amount of coffee always weighs 16gm on your scale, your shots will be consistent. Now if you are trying to share your info or selling something, then calibration becomes very important.

This brings up the concept behind this thread. Consistency is KING when it comes to espresso. If (and I think it does) weighing every shot brings better consistency to your drink, then it is worth the extra 10 seconds it usually takes.

Ken Fox

#107: Post by Ken Fox replying to mitch236 »

However ----

The cheap scales that most of us use (costing around $7USD, including shipping) are not exactly going to last forever. My own experience and best guess is that they will last between 1 and 3 years when used multiple times each day. Given that, it would be best if they were both accurate and consistent, so that when one has to obtain another one, one does not have to give the matter a whole lot of thought with the next one.

ken
What, me worry?

Alfred E. Neuman, 1955

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#108: Post by JohnB. »

erics wrote:I do realize this is a little OT but . . . a US penny is speced at 2.500 grams and a US nickel is 5.000 grams.

Just make sure you use recent coins. I checked a few pennies & a 1967 weighed 3g.
LMWDP 267

mitch236
Supporter ♡

#109: Post by mitch236 »

Ken Fox wrote:However ----

The cheap scales that most of us use (costing around $7USD, including shipping) are not exactly going to last forever. My own experience and best guess is that they will last between 1 and 3 years when used multiple times each day. Given that, it would be best if they were both accurate and consistent, so that when one has to obtain another one, one does not have to give the matter a whole lot of thought with the next one.

ken
Good point!!

wingding

#110: Post by wingding »

Just wanted to thank you for your post. I first read this about 4 months ago. I have been reading the site for about 6 months while saving money. Today I was able to pull the trigger on a Giotto Premium Plus and a Super Jolly. Shipping label...I should have it by Friday. :D Getting back to why I am writing this. Your right on the money with helping new guys. I was reading and reading and getting thrown all over the place. This post along with other's will give me a constant to begin with. I can use 14 grams at go for a 50, 60, 70 percent extraction and learn what the flavor profile is and how the taste changes. Then start over with say 15 grams. Since I have little knowledge of what really good espresso should taste like this method will get me started and begin to develop my skills in a controlled manner. I will be able to use this method to determine if i am getting close to what people write about in their posts. I have one good shop about an hour away and I am pretty sure I am getting quality espresso because it is not bitter and it has a mouth feel like I haven't had anywhere else...and I wish I didn't have to drive an hour to get it..HE even said when I get set up he will give me a whole bean sample of the coffee he uses to see if I am close to the same taste. I thought that was pretty cool. Thanks again for the help..

I can read all day on how to catch a trout...it's nice for someone to show what a trout looks like,,,,,, right.