Dialing In: Coarser and higher dose? Finer and lower dose?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
felixchar

Postby felixchar » Jun 09, 2019, 9:03 pm

Hi all, I've looked around on many blogs and I can't seem to find an answer to my question... It seems that many of us choose the dose to be a fix quantity (depending on the basket size), and we adjust the grind size to change the extraction time. I'm wondering, what's the difference between grinding coarser and putting more coffee, or grinding finer but putting less. Both options can give you the same result in the yield and time. I can keep my grind size the same, only changing the dose and I will get different extraction time.

I first tried those when I was getting super long first drop, and then, super fast extraction. I questioned the quantity of coffee and tried many scenarios.

Now I'm wondering, why do we only calibrate grind size instead of changing the dose?

P.S.: I'm using a Linea Mini, Forte AP grinder, 18g IST basket.

Almico

Postby Almico » Jun 09, 2019, 9:31 pm

Actually, you have it backwards. You don't pick the dose to fit the basket, you pick the basket to fit the desired dose.

In my world, a single is 7g, a double is 14 and a triple is 21. I don't know what 18g is, but lots of people seem to use it.

It comes down to personal taste. What do you want your espresso to taste like? How big do you want it? How intense of flavor?

I played around a lot with dosing when espresso was a hobby. Everything changed when I opened my coffee bar. I had to stop playing and make a decision as to how I wanted to represent my coffee to my customers. I was using a commercial lever with a fixed volume of water. 40g output was max. I could have used up to 20g of coffee, but it just didn't taste right. It was too much in your face. I settled on 15g baskets with 15.5g doses and 30g doubles. They not only fit perfectly in a 1.9oz Ancap Verdana cup, but it's intense enough to get your attention, yet very approachable for the occasional espresso drinker.

My new machine (same make and model) has an updated group that puts out 60g max output, but I kept my recipe the same and use the full lever dose for lungos. Normales I pull short and ristrettos even shorter.

So the bottom line is, the dose is primary. It is dependent on nothing more than what you want it to be. Then you adjust grind for extraction parameters.

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Jun 10, 2019, 2:31 am

Well, as was mentioned, you pick the basket to fit the dose.

Generally, it makes sense to pick a dose and a target brew ratio stick with those parameters to explore what happens as the grind is adjusted. Once you get a handle on the range that grinding affords, in terms of taste and extraction, then start dinking around with the ratio.

Once there's a peak result of grind and brew ratio, then adjusting the dose to reach the desired amount of beverage is a common way of dialing in.

Sometimes, you get a coffee that demands a grind so fine or coarse at a chosen dose, that it just won't work and needs a dosing adjustment from the beginning.

There's no right or wrong answer. You can adjust any or all parameters at once in any order. It's just more logical to pick a path and adjust one thing at a time to see what it does. Sometimes you close your eyes and toss a dart and get a bullseye. But more often, applying some method to bracket parameters a bit at a time is more productive.

yakster

Postby yakster » Jun 10, 2019, 10:38 am

-Chris

LMWDP # 272