Diagnosing bottomless / naked portafilter misbehavior

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
junky2004b

#1: Post by junky2004b »

Long time user of a dual boiler. Decided to take the plunge and get a bottomless Porter filter. On first pull, beautiful shot of espresso - no spray, all coffee in cup. but a good amount of clean water ran over the side of the Portafilter from group head and onto / down handle / outside of coffee basket. My regular portafilter has never leaked like this.
Is it a grouphead gasket issue? I've never replaced the shower head seal (once white colored gasket// ) Something funky with the new naked portafilter (the size/dimensions look the same - 58mm)? Grind too tight/ tamp too hard? Also open to user error! ... TIA

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by emradguy »

I would start by replacing your group gasket. It's probably all you need.

junky2004b (original poster)

#3: Post by junky2004b (original poster) »

Yes I think that's right. In the meantime I just went in there and cleaned it up. Put it all back and reloaded another puck. Pushed porta filter to about 5:45 rather than usual 6 pm. No leak. Will definitely order a new gasket. Anyone try the cafelat option or stick with breville oem?

emradguy
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by emradguy »

I switched to Cafelat gaskets on my E61 machines not long after they came out. They're far superior to the standard black rubber gaskets, which can dry out over time. If you don't replace them every 6-12 months, you take the risk of having them fall apart when you try to remove them. I also switched out my Londinium gasket as soon as the machine arrived, and will be putting Cafelat piston seals on it too, at the first maintenance session. I don't know what the Breville machines use, but if there's a Cafelat option, I wouldn't hesitate using it.

cmin

#5: Post by cmin »

junky2004b wrote:Yes I think that's right. In the meantime I just went in there and cleaned it up. Put it all back and reloaded another puck. Pushed porta filter to about 5:45 rather than usual 6 pm. No leak. Will definitely order a new gasket. Anyone try the cafelat option or stick with breville oem?
I have a Cafelet in my BDB, always used Cafelet in various machines.

This is the BDB one

58mm Cafelat Gasket for 900 Series Breville, Sage machines dual boiler, 900, 920, 980, 990, Oracle https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088TQ2QT9/re ... UTF8&psc=1