Defining double shot of espresso by weight or volume?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JuggyJay

#1: Post by JuggyJay »

Hey guys! So i've been making espresso for the past couple of months and was always under the impression that for a double shot of espresso you'd want about 2oz of liquid in about 30 seconds. I was literally making 2 ounces of espresso by weight, meaning my shots weighed about 56 grams. I have now recently found out that the 2 oz referred to volume and not weight. So basically my question is, for a double shot of espresso, with about 18 grams of dry coffee weight, I should be looking to extract about 2 oz in volume and 36 grams in weight of espresso, is that correct? Thanks for taking the time to read this :)

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Check this out, it explains: Brewing ratios for espresso beverages. What you were pulling is well into lungo range.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
JuggyJay (original poster)

#3: Post by JuggyJay (original poster) »

Ah okay. I've looked at this chart quite a bit today. It helps a lot. So basically whenever you read somewhere online suggesting 2oz for double shots, they are taking about volumetric measurements?

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by RockyIII replying to JuggyJay »

That's right.

I think you will find that most people here talk about their espresso shots by gram weight as that seems a more reliable way to measure.

Rocky

JuggyJay (original poster)

#5: Post by JuggyJay (original poster) »

Okay thanks for the information, much appreciated!