DE1 coffee tips: Dragonfly Leam Hammer

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Headala

#1: Post by Headala »

Hi, I know a couple of folks have experience brewing this bean on their DE1(+), but now I can't remember which forum or thread I saw their parameters mentioned. So maybe it would be useful to start a thread where we can share our brewing tips, profile, etc.

Please include your grinder and relative fineness settings and which profile you're using.

Headala (original poster)

#2: Post by Headala (original poster) »

Grinder: Sette 270W. I usually am grinding at 4F for my Alex Duetto, with a linelevel preinfusion. I've tried down to 3F on the DE1+ but it still doesn't seem fine enough.
Dose: 18g in Decent 18g basket
Yield: 30-34g
Profile: Innovative Long Preinfusion, set to stop at 36g
Results: Highly acidic, not really drinkable I'm also getting two or three uniform channels in the top of the puck, no matter if I WDT, pitcher shake, nutate, or use my wedge grooming tool. Even though I'm much finer than I usually am, the pressure never reaches 4bar.

Would love some advice!

MB

#3: Post by MB »

Do you have the Rise function turned on? Is it possible that you haven't got enough "rise" flow to compress the puck, so it's just flowing through?
LMWDP #472

Dpablo

#4: Post by Dpablo »

I'm having difficulty with this coffee, too. It's a lot of brightness, but there's no sweetness to balance it out. I'm using the following parameters: 201 degrees, 18.5 grams in, and everywhere between 30 to 40 grams out.

#5: Post by Headala (original poster) »

MB wrote:Do you have the Rise function turned on? Is it possible that you haven't got enough "rise" flow to compress the puck, so it's just flowing through?
I will check in the morning. Good call.
Dpablo wrote:I'm having difficulty with this coffee, too. It's a lot of brightness, but there's no sweetness to balance it out. I'm using the following parameters: 201 degrees, 18.5 grams in, and everywhere between 30 to 40 grams out.
Well I guess we can figure this out together!

Today I was able to get a slightly better shot...drinkable but just barely:

Dpablo

#6: Post by Dpablo »

Coincidentally, I did, too. I'm beginning to think this coffee needs an extensive amount of time to de-gas. Today also marks the first time my grind setting hasn't needed extensive adjustment.

#7: Post by Headala (original poster) replying to Dpablo »

That's a good thought about needing to rest. I'll take a couple days' break from the Leam Hammer to see if it improves. I don't have much left of it anyway.

This was my shot this morning. I thought maybe the high pressure I was hitting was causing some of the more astringent flavor, so I modified the profile to maintain 7 bar instead of a constant flow during the hold. Rise is indeed enabled. Shot came out slightly better than my slightly better shot yesterday. Still not a pleasure to drink though. Grinder today at 4C seems the best. Also my EPNW HQ 18g ridgeless basket seems a little better than the Decent one.