Daily Cleaning of Milk Jugs? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Marcelnl »

Dishwashers mostly use cold water in the EU, there are some that handle cold and hot water yet like mentioned there is a clear trend towards longer and less warm programs.

To the milk jug, I usually throw it in the dishwasher at the end of the morning when cappa time is over.
LMWDP #483

DamianWarS

#12: Post by DamianWarS »

dsc106 wrote:I make 1-2 milk drinks per day, AM/PM often separated by 6+ hours. Cleaning the milk pitcher + thermometer so regularly with soap and water is time consuming, and I'm wondering if I've been doing it unnecessarily?

Do you wash the jug/thermo with soap, water, sponge after ever use? Or just rinse out well with water only? Or rinse with soapy water? (Perhaps my scrubbing with the sponge each time isn't needed?)

My concern has been food safety with it being heated milk and all - not to mention residue build up on the jugs, but I am wondering if I don't need to worry if I just rinse well with water and wash with soap/water/sponge once weekly.
I immediately rinse and let it dry upside down and that's about it, there's no residue or build-up. they will get clean occasionally but daily I don't do that. I base temp through touch, not a thermometer so that's not an issue. I'm looking at it now and the outside is not so pretty but the inside looks fine, even the spout has no build-up.

hemingr

#13: Post by hemingr »

I rinse them out with water from the hot water spout after use. Every few days I chuck them in the dishwasher. Been doing so for years, still alive.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by JohnB. »

Peppersass wrote:Thanks! I had a feeling someone here would know the answer. We have a mixing valves in the showers with adjustable stops that prevent scalding, but not in the faucets. Would be nice to be able to feed 140F water to the dishwasher, though.
I'd have to agree with your plumber, 140*F is way too hot. 120*f is the normal setting for a hot water heater but I keep mine at 125*F. 40+ years with no issues.

From https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3605550/
"Burns from tap water result in an estimated 1500 hospital admissions and approximately 100 deaths per year. The severity of tap water scalds depends on the temperature of the water and the length of time the skin is exposed. Human exposure to hot water at 140°F can lead to a serious burn within 3 seconds, whereas at 120°F a serious burn takes about 10 minutes."
LMWDP 267

dsc106 (original poster)

#15: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

There's no real benefit to 140F as I understand. After 127 F, bacteria begin to die by the heat - but that takes significant time, it is not instantaneous. You'd need 165F or higher heat to really damage bacteria within a reasonable amount of time from water alone. As I understand it, warm/hot water from the tap for cleaning dishes is all about increasing viscosity for stuck on bits, not killing germs. The soap does that.

So if you don't need viscosity, you can use soap + cold or room temp water (whatever is comfortable for your hands). Someone correct me if I am mistaken!

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Marcelnl »

viscosity, I do not understand where viscosity comes into play? The viscosity of hot water is only slightly lower than for cold water?? Soap killing germs?
A dishwasher, and washing up manually too, is mainly based on the principle of 'there is no solution to pollution like dilution', the hot water ..provided it is hot enough, helps clean thing and the soap helps to remove and keep particles afloat..

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Can-I-us ... l-bacteria

interestingly, over here the recommended hot water temperature to keep Legionella at bay is 60'C, or 140 F
LMWDP #483

dsc106 (original poster)

#17: Post by dsc106 (original poster) »

As I understand, hotter water decreases the viscosity of water, but it's more about decreasing the viscosity of certain stunk on gunk the heat from the water contacts:

https://kitchenbuds.com/dishwasher-guid ... old-water/

Point is, 140F isn't going to kill any germs unless it's in contact (and likely immersed) for significant time. And you don't need 140F for heat to get the benefits of lowering viscosity, 100-120 warm water is fine to help fats and oils scrub off easy. And colder water is actually better for some things.

I'm only saying that by setting your tap water to 140F instead of 125F I'm not sure what is trying to be achieved - is it a misunderstanding that the temperature would somehow make things more sterile or less viscous? As I understand, it won't, so what is the point?

Jonk

#18: Post by Jonk »

140F will kill most Legionella within minutes. The idea is that the boiler temperature should be hot enough to prevent growth at the outlet.
https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-shee ... ionellosis
JohnB. wrote:120*f is the normal setting for a hot water heater but I keep mine at 125*F. 40+ years with no issues.
After 40+ years perhaps it's time to be more cautious, as age is a primary risk factor for this disease. Of course, measures to prevent scalding should also be taken.