Critique shot and help improve flavor - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
OK31

Postby OK31 » Feb 10, 2018, 12:34 pm

Sorry to tack onto this thread but seems to be appropriate for the question. Would love some thoughts on how this looks and what/if anything needs to be adjusted.

here is the before and after puck picture and video of extraction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmejJgYVftc

also when should the shot be turned off (blonding?) not sure if I've passed that point or not.

smite

Postby smite » Feb 11, 2018, 9:28 pm

Looks like you might be dosing too much as it appears to be touching the group screen. What size basket are you using and how much dose are you using?

OK31

Postby OK31 » Feb 11, 2018, 9:40 pm

That unfortunately was a 20g dose in stock bdb basket so I do have to go down to 19 or 18. Was so excited there were no spritzers did 3 shots and got carried away

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Feb 11, 2018, 10:41 pm

My doses are from 18 to 20g for most coffees. Your BDB should have come with "the razor". This tool is useful to measure the distance from the top of your pf to the top of your coffee puck. As long as you are close to the razor edge you will be okay. In other words, your puck won't hit the shower screen once it swells.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Feb 11, 2018, 10:42 pm

Also once you down dose you will need to grind finer.

OK31

Postby OK31 » replying to BaristaBob » Feb 11, 2018, 10:49 pm

Yeah I am set for a smaller dose on the grind so that was a fluke. For what it's worth was there anything visibly wrong with the extraction from the video though? I don't know what features to look for but think the bottom was flush came together into one, am I looking for something else?

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » Feb 12, 2018, 8:31 am

Your extraction looks very good, from a general point of view it's excellent, just maybe a bit fast. Go to 18g, tighten the grind to extract 36g in about 30 to 35 seconds from pressing the manual button...then taste!

OK31

Postby OK31 » replying to BaristaBob » Feb 12, 2018, 8:40 am

Awesome thanks! Oddly enough I decided to try the razor again and this morning dosed 19.4 used the razor and there was definitely space between the dose but still a bit of an imprint. Not sure how much that razor actually means but will go back to 18. I've been using the MAlabar Gold which suggests to use a larger dose. Will keep trying. Maybe I've learned enough from everyone here to actually have it pull successfully without getting dirty :)

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck » replying to OK31 » Feb 12, 2018, 9:39 am

I would not worry about the imprint on the wet puck.. it is common for the puck to swell up. As long as you don't touch the screen when it is dry is the most important thing.
I would not get addicted to using the doser tool as different coffees have different densities meaning some coffee will ride higher/lower in the basket.

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » replying to slipchuck » Feb 12, 2018, 11:41 am

I agree with Randy. Wet imprint okay. After working with the BDB for almost two years I only use the razor as a gauge of height. If I sit the razor in there and it leaves a big dent, then I know I should down dose a little or move to a a larger pf screen. I go between 18g and 20g baskets. So if the Marabar likes to be updosed, you may want to invest in a 20g basket.