Critique shot and help improve flavor - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
klund

#21: Post by klund »

slipchuck wrote:Instead of this I hit the set button then the double shot button. When I get the proper weight of the dose, I hit the double button to stop it.
Did a quick little Google search to see that the Infuser doesn't have a "Manual" button. Apparently you've found a work-around for that. On the BDB, every shot I pull uses the "Manual" button, so I can stop it when I damn well please. The "1-Cup" and "2-Cup" buttons are not consistent.

klund

#22: Post by klund »

OK31 wrote:So having been at it for the past 3 months I'm revisiting my pulling technique and had a revelation. Thus far I've been pushing the double shot button on the infuser and timing until it stops on its own and trying to get the weight and grind and tamp to make the machine time at 30seconds. Slowly realizing the desired in/out volume/weight in the advised 30sec time cannot be achieved consistently if at all by just pushing and praying. Have I been a fool all along thinking I can do this? Should I have in fact been weighing my shots to the desired ratio and working to get the timing based on that?
No, not a fool. You have been trying to out-barista your equipment. Now that you know how to start and stop the pull manually, you can relax and focus on getting your desired output volume, which is more important than the time.

I can have shots that pull in 50 seconds be just as good as shots pulled in 35. If my dose is off by 1 gram, though, I'm probably not getting a great shot.

slipchuck

#23: Post by slipchuck »

klund wrote:Did a quick little Google search to see that the Infuser doesn't have a "Manual" button. Apparently you've found a work-around for that. On the BDB, every shot I pull uses the "Manual" button, so I can stop it when I damn well please. The "1-Cup" and "2-Cup" buttons are not consistent.
You are right the one cup, two cup is inconsistent. When you hit the set button first this turns it into "manual" as the shot won't stop until you hit the 2 cup button again

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

OK31
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by OK31 replying to slipchuck »

Ha so the preset is just a suggestion starting point in the event a bean cooperates. Feels like this shouldn't even be automated now that I've figured it out.

slipchuck

#25: Post by slipchuck replying to OK31 »

I totally agree

slipchuck

#26: Post by slipchuck »

OK31 if you still have your infuser, I have done some measurements and experiments try this Breville temperature regulating tip

Randy

OK31
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by OK31 »

So have the BDB now and WOW, having been able to use the infuser going to this I feel is like going from a Honda to a BMW (not hating any Honda's got one myself). It feels like it may almost be more forgiving and definitely seems to make a better shot. I keep trying the Malabar maybe I'll finally get it right. Anyway, so silly question how far do you guys rotate the PF dead center or past ? Why and what if any benefit is there to turning past center? It won't really raise the PF any higher will it?

So back to the previous question if I'm getting 2:1 in 30sec based on timed shots and it cuts off at 30sec then I'm golden? Should I keep trying to outbarista the machine and have it volume pull 2:1 in 30sec start to finish? It's not possible under any condition as far as I can tell. Either it's too tight and will slow down or it's too loose and just runs. So the reason I'm trying to understand is why would you want to use volumetric? In case you want to change the dose? And if so why not just adjust the time?

I've seen lots of discussions on this and am torn on all extra useless or not necessarily required toys but aside from the suggested level tamper and naked PF and maybe vst baskets - not sure why I'd need those, but any true benefit to a funnel like tidaka, decent espresso or OE? Not fan of the Idr nor the other one similar since the goal is to not waste grind but rather keep it contained. Considering something that sits on outside and lets a tamper through which narrows it to tidaka and decent. Thoughts?

Last question and this is me being a little bit of an @$$ but the unit out of the box shows some markings and deep albeit very subtle scratches in a few spots. Possibly production line or maybe if/when they test the units before sending? Should I drop it and enjoy the unit or...

The first time I powered the unit on there was also a bit of a plastic smell but seems to have dicipated. Thoughts?

klund

#28: Post by klund »

OK31 wrote:Anyway, so silly question how far do you guys rotate the PF dead center or past ? Why and what if any benefit is there to turning past center? It won't really raise the PF any higher will it?
I think it is typical that as you wear in the machine you will rotate the PF farther and farther. Mine now consistently rotates to about 40 degrees right of center.
So back to the previous question if I'm getting 2:1 in 30sec based on timed shots and it cuts off at 30sec then I'm golden? Should I keep trying to outbarista the machine and have it volume pull 2:1 in 30sec start to finish?
Remember, these are all guidelines. My guideline is 35 seconds on the shot clock - 10 second preinfusion, 25 seconds after the first drop. I can +/- that a bit (although more on the plus than the minus -- 30 seconds or less results in a bad shot, while I can get good shots all the way up to 50+ seconds).
So the reason I'm trying to understand is why would you want to use volumetric?
You don't. Only use the Manual button.
maybe vst baskets - not sure why I'd need those,
Some people love them, I've never used them. The Breville baskets seem excellent, by my limited standards.
but any true benefit to a funnel like tidaka, decent espresso or OE?
Depends on your grinder. I've got a Vario-W and notice definite improvement with WDT, so I use a OE funnel.
Last question and this is me being a little bit of an @$$ but the unit out of the box shows some markings and deep albeit very subtle scratches in a few spots. Possibly production line or maybe if/when they test the units before sending? Should I drop it and enjoy the unit or...
This depends on you. Will it frustrate you every time you see it? Or will you let it go an be fine? If it will bother you, take the hassle of getting it replaced.
The first time I powered the unit on there was also a bit of a plastic smell but seems to have dicipated. Thoughts?
This has also been reported. I don't know of anybody who has had this be a long term issue.

Hope this helps!

Kevin

OK31
Supporter ♡

#29: Post by OK31 »

klund wrote:I think it is typical that as you wear in the machine you will rotate the PF farther and farther. Mine now consistently rotates to about 40 degrees right of center.

Remember, these are all guidelines. My guideline is 35 seconds on the shot clock - 10 second preinfusion, 25 seconds after the first drop. I can +/- that a bit (although more on the plus than the minus -- 30 seconds or less results in a bad shot, while I can get good shots all the way up to 50+ seconds).

You don't. Only use the Manual button.

Some people love them, I've never used them. The Breville baskets seem excellent, by my limited standards.

Depends on your grinder. I've got a Vario-W and notice definite improvement with WDT, so I use a OE funnel.

This depends on you. Will it frustrate you every time you see it? Or will you let it go an be fine? If it will bother you, take the hassle of getting it replaced.

This has also been reported. I don't know of anybody who has had this be a long term issue.

Hope this helps!

Kevin
Thanks a lot Kevin, this is great. So far with the malabar I've done 3 shots and they are pretty close to 2:1 in 30 which still has room to lower yield in that time. Will do some more testing.

You use the OE funnel or cylinder? I have breville sgp so the funnel won't work unless I hold it. The smell may have dicipated so hopefully just a one time thing..

Thanks again

klund

#30: Post by klund »

Just the funnel. This one.