Creative, Non-Traditional Espresso Drink Ideas

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Sideshow

#1: Post by Sideshow »

We're all aware of the espresso drink continuum ranging from espresso to latte. Naturally, I'm very happy subsisting at various points within this continuum day to day. However, I'm just curious as to whether anyone has creative uses for espresso, things that aren't otherwise standardized and known generally. Maybe someone throws a cool shot over some vanilla ice cream or freezes it into cubes to make other things. I'm curious to see what people have done over their coffee journeys.

dominico
Team HB

#2: Post by dominico »

A hot shot of espresso over vanilla ice cream is called a Gelato affogato (al caffè ) and is quite popular and tasty. Some alcoholic drinks are a caffè corretto which is a shot of espresso with a shot of alcohol mixed together: popular options are grappa or Sambuca, I've also used amaretto liquor or vov zabajone.

Then there is caffè shakerato, espresso with shaved ice (and cream or sugar if desired) shaken in a martini shaker.
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

1yay1

#3: Post by 1yay1 »

Espresso and tonic seems to be the new-ish trend at the moment, haven't tried it yet.

Zoey

#4: Post by Zoey »

^^ I have, and I didn't care for it whatsoever. I'm not sure what the rage is all about? ^^

Sideshow (original poster)

#5: Post by Sideshow (original poster) »

I've spent time in Argentina, and they have some interesting, alternative ways of preparing. I've seen various types of booze in espresso there; you can also get espresso with cardamom.

However, I want to see if people do anything more than just putting some added spice or flavor in a shot.

1yay1

#6: Post by 1yay1 »

espresso with a tiny amount of a sherry cask whisky can also taste extremely good. just a tbsp or so

[creative nickname]

#7: Post by [creative nickname] »

I'm a fan of coffee tonics; they work best with a pretty bright shot (or you can add a squeeze of lemon to get more balance between bitter and sour). Using an excellent tonic is a must.

You might also want to try making a mazagran, which involves mixing espresso, lemon juice, sugar or simple syrup, and sometimes a bit of rum. It's like an Arnold Palmer but with coffee. For this one a darker roast is probably best.
LMWDP #435