Cowless milk tip

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Randy G.

#1: Post by Randy G. »

Those who use alternatives to bovine juice know that the margin for error can be fairly narrow in terms of stretching for any chance at decent latte art. There are certain products aimed at the commercial market specifically for stretching, but these can be difficult to find and can be more costly than other such products which are generally more available. After +/-20 years I have come across a way to greatly improve this task.

At various times I have been using the vanilla varieties of Kikoman Pearl Organic soy milk or Blue Diamond Almond Breeze milk. Each of those products can be challenging in time of how much air to add, when to add it, and the temperature at which to stop. My efforts usually lie somewhere between something resembling a passable rosette and some NSFW efforts resembling the anatomy of various male or female body parts. Even got a salmon one day. Really:

I did 'etch' the eye, but the rest is the way it came from the pitcher. An it was NOT what I was going for.

About three days ago, and for no reason I can explain, I decided to do a 50/50 mixture of the two products mentioned above. My latte art is generally a hit and miss affair for a number of reasons, my age being just one. But I was able to pour a total of seven consecutive passable latte art efforts over a three day period using that blend. It represented a consistency I cannot ever remember achieving.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
* 21st Anniversary 2000-2021 *

Jake_G
Team HB

#2: Post by Jake_G »

Another option that I have had great success with both in flavor and being stretchable is Chobani Plain Extra Creamy Oat Milk.

I really appreciate that it is unflavored and not sweet, but let's the flavor of the coffee shine through. I really enjoy it in cortados and flat whites.

It is remarkably easy to work with.
LMWDP #704

Graymatters

#3: Post by Graymatters »

My favorite, after trying everything readily available locally, is Oatly Full Fat - it's been at least as good as any of the "Barista" editions that I've tried, and costs significantly less. I'm not great with latte art either way, but I'm only marginally worse with Oatly than I am with cow's milk.

The only problem with Oatly is that, at least in my area, it can go out of stock (EVERYWHERE) from time to time, so I try to keep a couple of half-gallons in the fridge.
LMWDP #726

*sigh*

#4: Post by *sigh* »

Thanks for the tip. I've definitely tried a handful of options out there, from regular to barista specific blends some are fine some are awful (both in ease of steaming and flavor). Outside of the Califia Barista Oat nothing else is worth the premium IMO, but for non-barista specific options I've actually had great success with the Kirkland Signature Unsweetened Almond milk.

CSME9

#5: Post by CSME9 »

Silk Next milk whole is plant based, 7g carbs, 3g sugar, add 1-2 teaspoons of heavy whip cream and you get nice wet paint texture.

chipman

#6: Post by chipman »

This is good to know. I've been purchasing the "barista" versions of a few brands (Oatly, Califia, Rise) and they are more expensive than the brands mentioned here.

Jake_G
Team HB

#7: Post by Jake_G »

CSME9 wrote:Silk Next milk whole milk is plant based, 7g carbs, 3g sugar, add 1-2 teaspoons of heavy whip cream and you get nice wet paint texture.
Doesn't adding heavy whip cream defeat the whole "cowless" part? :P
chipman wrote:This is good to know. I've been purchasing the "barista" versions of a few brands (Oatly, Califia, Rise) and they are more expensive than the brands mentioned here.
I can add that I've tried the Chobani barista version of their oat milk and the "extra creamy" version is cheaper and I find it easier to work with.
LMWDP #704

CSME9

#8: Post by CSME9 »

Jake_G wrote:Doesn't adding heavy whip cream defeat the whole "cowless" part? :P
Yes slightly, but all the rest of the milk used is cowless.

Kaffee Bitte

#9: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

I ran out to the grocery store to buy some oatly full fat and chobani. But only the oatly available. Going to try it this evening. I have been buying Califia and oatly barista. If this version is as good taste wise and steaming better to boot I will be a happy barista. Sure would save me some cash
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

chipman

#10: Post by chipman »

Has anyone tried Ripple? (no, not that one) It's a pea based drink.