Cowless milk tip - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
drgary
Team HB

#11: Post by drgary »

I've had good luck with Kirkland Signature (Costco) oat milk and have been getting consistent latte art rosettas recently, to my surprise. (At least they're consistently decorative.) The Kirkland oat milk has a bit of coconut flavor, even though that's not listed in the ingredients. I find that it's as easy to work with as the Oatley Barista product and agree that full fat Oatley also works well.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Jake_G
Team HB

#12: Post by Jake_G »

Of course...

Costco has it all.

Do you know if the Costco Oak milk is Gluten Free?

Simply Oat is not... :|
LMWDP #704

CSME9

#13: Post by CSME9 »

[quote="chipman"]Has anyone tried Ripple? (no, not that one) It's a pea based drink.

Didn't work well for me, ripple made a barista version that was good but I haven't seen it in stores in a while.

drgary
Team HB

#14: Post by drgary »

Jake_G wrote:Do you know if the Costco Oak milk is Gluten Free?
Since it doesn't say that on the carton, I assume it has gluten.

BTW we make oat milk from scratch for Janet, using oats, water, vanilla, and a touch of salt. Pre-soak 1 cup of oats overnight, drain off the water, add 6 cups of water, 2 TSP vanilla and a shake of salt. Then blend for 45 seconds in a Vitamix and filter it through a nut milk strainer, and it's good on cereal, but that's it. I can blow bubbles into it with a steam wand. The bubbles are large and they don't last. I've tried adding oil. Nope. I tried corn starch, it sort of works but isn't very good. I've read that store-bought brands are created with an enzymatic process. Also they often have added sugar, which Janet avoids. We don't buy commercial products containing gels for emulsifying because I don't tolerate them well. Many commercial products seem to have other chemical additives that may help with foaming. Perhaps someone with knowledge of foaming agents will chime in, especially if there's something harmless we can add at home.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Graymatters

#15: Post by Graymatters »

Huh. Looks like the Costco stuff is $11.50 for 1.5 gallons in my area - I'd normally prefer a smaller commitment but, for that price, I'll give it a whirl.
LMWDP #726

ira
Team HB

#16: Post by ira »

I know about cow tipping, but every time I read the title of this topic I keep wondering how you tip cowless milk?

GDM528

#17: Post by GDM528 »

I've been adding a tiny pinch of xanthan gum prior to foaming. Increases both the quantity and longevity of the foam.

drgary
Team HB

#18: Post by drgary »

Yes, that's one of the things I avoid.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Kaffee Bitte

#19: Post by Kaffee Bitte »

chipman wrote:Has anyone tried Ripple? (no, not that one) It's a pea based drink.
I keep looking for the barista version but haven't found it in stores. The regular versions are everywhere though
Lynn G.
LMWDP # 110

GDM528

#20: Post by GDM528 »

drgary wrote: Many commercial products seem to have other chemical additives that may help with foaming. Perhaps someone with knowledge of foaming agents will chime in, especially if there's something harmless we can add at home.
You may want to check the ingredients in your toothpaste for foaming agents, like xanthan gum.

Egg whites are pretty commonly used to add foam to cocktails, but could get weird and a little gross at steam temperatures. Fee Foam is an egg-free alternative, but is a chemistry lab. Lecithin?