Counter Culture Coffee's Training

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Wacobipe
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Wacobipe »

What is the situation with Counter Culture Coffee's training programs? I've recently been trying to get into the local classes in Asheville, NC. They seem to have just restructured the entire program with a focus on professionals. I can't get a response from the local rep as to signing up for classes, and most are now listed as "for wholesale customers" which makes me feel like the fact I don't make a living in coffee makes me not worth replying to.

I've done a couple cuppings at CCC before, and I really want to take my espresso skills to the next level. CCC would seem to have great classes... And I don't know of any alternatives...but maybe the home barista isn't worth the trouble for them? I can truly understand this if it is the case as one at a time is a hard way to sell.

Any insight appreciated...I know Dan and HB knows them well so hoping for some advice.

cycomachead

#2: Post by cycomachead »

I'm in the bay area, and would also have considered their training. I didn't even bother emailing...

I would love to know if they allow people like us, or if there are other recommendations?

Marshall

#3: Post by Marshall »

Wacobipe wrote:I can't get a response from the local rep as to signing up for classes, and most are now listed as "for wholesale customers" which makes me feel like the fact I don't make a living in coffee makes me not worth replying to.
It's not a sign of disrespect. It's the fact that neither you nor your employer is going to buy their coffee in the quantities they feel would justify this investment of CCC's time. Consumers are also more likely to slow the class down with questions that do not relate to commercial equipment or the retail environment.

Some roasters and baristas do offer classes directed at consumers and some do not mind mixing consumers and pros. I would follow up with CCC from time to time to see if they change their mind or contact other roasters in your area.

BTW I was at the opening party for CCC's first Los Angeles training center yesterday. They will be offering their traditional free weekly tastings for consumers there.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Wacobipe (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Wacobipe (original poster) »

Thanks for the response...I understand the home barista is a costly investment vs. return for someone like CCC.

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

Surely in the interests of good PR they could flick a quick "Sorry, these are for wholesale customers only." Or might they be inundated with such requests?

fishll

#6: Post by fishll »

As a home barista turned professional, and currently taking wholesale only classes with CCC, I understand your confusion. They recently restructured the program to separate wholesale from consumers. The idea is so that everyone gets more thorough and complete training. The wholesale classes are listed on a separate website. As far as I know, and was told by trainers here in Atlanta, they are continuing to offer classes to the public. They may still be redeveloping these classes as the wholesale classes were just recently re-released. I would hold tight, I can assure you CCC does care about the consumer/home barista. And for the record the classes are super informative, Im very lucky to have access to them, and am working towards their Barista Certification.

Marshall

#7: Post by Marshall »

Nice article in the L.A. Times today on the history and purpose of the CCC training centers, and, yes, they are planning consumer classes. http://lat.ms/29Jpek6
Marshall
Los Angeles

Lacoffee

#8: Post by Lacoffee »

Yeah I just saw that ccc training center as its in my neighborhood and right next to the farmers market I attend twice weekly. It had been under construction for a long time with just the "design bitches" sign out front. Pretty nice space. This further cements Silverlake as the most condensed and intense third wave scene of any city I have been too. The amount of new order shops in such a tight confine is insane!
If anyone decides to go to a tasting let me know and I'll swing by.
Andrew

Wacobipe (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Wacobipe (original poster) »

Marshall wrote:Nice article in the L.A. Times today on the history and purpose of the CCC training centers, and, yes, they are planning consumer classes. http://lat.ms/29Jpek6
Thanks for the update.

Marshall

#10: Post by Marshall »

A new article in Sprudge today on the design of the Silver Lake center and plans for using it. http://sprudge.com/inside-counter-cultu ... 05311.html
Marshall
Los Angeles