Confused by the change in brew pressure during extraction - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DaveB

#21: Post by DaveB »

I got this one when I recently did the brass OPD mod:

https://www.amazon.com/Ulka-EX5-Vibrato ... B00B8KBVZE

I would recommend sending it in if it's really enough of an issue that you can't live with it (ie, bad tasting espresso). Seems crazy to be fiddling around in there with the potential to screw something up while still under warranty, which could conceivably void it, leaving you high and dry. Nevermind that I did just that with the brass-necked pump / brass OPV mod on my 3 month old replacement machine. But then I like to live dangerously. 8)
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

pcrussell50

#22: Post by pcrussell50 »

EDIT: fixed crap link that iOS Amazon app gave me when I used the "share" icon.

Pressure drop with continued flow is normal. Pressure drop where the flow almost stops is not normal.

For replacement, I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00UCH2NQ0/re ... aFb3D2BDQJ

It's only 41W instead of 52W, but that seems to make little difference. And it's got a shorter duty cycle, 1min ON then 1.5 min off. That is not a problem either. On the plus side, it's MUCH cheaper and is the pump you want anyway if you are going to swap over to the brass OPV. (An aesthetic mod, much quieter. But not a performance mod.)

Still IF you can repeatedly show that pressure drops at the same time as flow nearly stops, and can catch it on video, you might have an actionable warranty case. Re the time it takes... Breville has a three day turnaround time once they have it, or they send you a new (or factory refurbished), machine.

TL;DR : You should be very certain you are getting BOTH a pressure drop and a flow stoppage at the same time before you head down the path of suspected mechanical failure. Because again, pressure drop as the puck erodes is normal.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

Advertisement
slipchuck

#23: Post by slipchuck replying to pcrussell50 »

I have the 41watt version and besides being a little bit slower to ramp up there isn't any difference between 41w and 52w

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

pcrussell50

#24: Post by pcrussell50 replying to slipchuck »

That was also my experience when I was still using a vibe pump on my BDB.

More info re the 41W version... I sent my 41W brass pump and brass OPV to a mate. He's using them now and loving it. Re the slower ramp time, he's finding it also affects the pre infusion power (PP) settings. Even though his machine is Slayer modded, he has still been experimenting diligently with the stock pre infusion and the 41W version required different PP settings to achieve the same result as the 52W version. So sharing profiles between people who have the brass versus stock will require some interpolation.

-Peter
LMWDP #553