Cleaning E61 grouphead (stubborn hard water stains)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
rattaps

#1: Post by rattaps »

Hi, still trying to clean my e61 group without damaging the chrome. I tried to soak it in some mild citric acid, but it's not budging,
obviously it needs something stronger or vinegar might do it. has anyone ever cleaned one with barkeepers friend or something similar?
it's really really stubborn. any suggestions.
"The only stupid question is one not asked."

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

I had a tiny leak from my brew head pressure gauge onto the e61 bell. Vinegar works, and it did not hurt the chrome on my Synchronika, but I did not leave the vinegar on very long. There is information online that says prolonged contact will dissolve the chrome. However, this site looks authoritative. https://www.factorydirectchemicals.com/ ... er-vinegar

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Pressino »

rattaps wrote:Hi, still trying to clean my e61 group without damaging the chrome. I tried to soak it in some mild citric acid, but it's not budging,
obviously it needs something stronger or vinegar might do it. has anyone ever cleaned one with barkeepers friend or something similar?
it's really really stubborn. any suggestions.
I wouldn't use any kind of abrasive cleanser on either the chromed or polished stainless steel parts an espresso machine. Even the ones (like the brand you mentioned) that claim to have "never scratched" could dull a polished metal surface. :shock:

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

I have never had a problem on the surfaces that would not clean up with a lightly damp microfiber cloth.

You could try something like Mothers mag polish, Flitz, semichrome, etc on a microfiber.
Dave Stephens

rattaps (original poster)

#5: Post by rattaps (original poster) »

I think my finish is worn off, it's not budging, here is a picture, tried citric acid, tried barkeeper friend. it's just not improving.

_Ryan_

#6: Post by _Ryan_ »

rattaps wrote:I think my finish is worn off, it's not budging, here is a picture, tried citric acid, tried barkeeper friend. it's just not improving.
If you run a finger nail over it, is there a layer over the chrome or is it even? I've never encountered scale, but is it scale? would descaler or CLR damage the chrome?

I've polished tarnished nickel guitar pickups with Gibsons restoration/guitar cleaning metal polish without leaving any visible marks- i assume it's a finer abrasive than the metal polish I use on my cars polished parts. You could test something similar on the top nut before trying it on the entire group.

As always, test on a non-visible area.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder »

You should not have calcium buildup there. Looks like the glacier crush washer is leaking. You should not have water there.You have a bigger problem than just buildup on the group head. You may need to take the goup off the entire machine. Disassemble the innerds, then soak everything in a citric acid or other descale solution. Then rebuild the group replacing all the seals.
Dave Stephens

rattaps (original poster)

#8: Post by rattaps (original poster) »

yes, I know that. I rebuilt the group. this it my friends machine. I took out the boiler to descale it, and the group head will be freshly rebuilt as well.
I got it nicer then on that picture. but It lost it's bright shine now. it should be ok.
thanks,

Jeff
Team HB

#9: Post by Jeff »

See How to polish out scratches? for some information on various polishes and compounds. Paul Pratt is a well-respected restorer, if you're not familiar with the name.