cappuccino art shapes?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
LittleCoffee

#1: Post by LittleCoffee »

The insane level of fiddleness required for latte art really appeals to my OCD and I enjoy the process of trying, failing with 99.9% chance and then trying again.

At the same time I really like drinking the texture of cappuccino a lot more than latte.

So every time I'm stretching milk in my head there's a little battle between the tongue, which wants cappuccino and the brain which wants to pour the perfect latte art shape. Tough times eh?

I'm wondering therefore whether there are any shapes which are suitable for pouring with cappuccino texture milk other than the obvious heart?

ojt

#2: Post by ojt »

Perhaps an apple :) Or a slowsetta if the milk ain't too foamy, but at least with my skills the traditional cappuccino sized drink is a bit of a challenge..
Osku

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by Nunas »

A proper cappuccino does not lend itself to poured art, as that blob of foam that one floats atop won't cooperate. You can, however, do needle art, or etching, with it. I do this regularly, using a heavy needle, the tip of a bamboo skewer, the thermometer tip, and even the handle end of a small spoon. Each device gives a different effect. You can buy coffee art needles or "pens"; Amazon has a bunch of them. A simple pattern can be made by pouring the milk from a higher pattern than normal for longer than normal, then floating a smaller than normal blob of foam on the top. Then draw the needle or skewer from the centre to the edge of the cup in an arc; repeat, turning the cup a few degrees each time. A skewer gives fatter lines. A spoon handle will create peaks and valleys. If the foam is light enough, you can lay it into lines instead of the usual blob. Then draw the needle back and forth, across the lines. You can also pour nearly all the milk into the cup, letting it mix in, and do the art with powder. Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvsxKCmoiFQ If you make the foam lighter than traditional capp foam, you can pour some simple latte art, then embellish it with the needle or skewer. Check this out https://www.baristaspace.com/collection ... tteart-pen

LittleCoffee (original poster)

#4: Post by LittleCoffee (original poster) »

Oh wow! Milk etching!! I genuinely had no idea till your post Nunas. Yet another rabbit hole in coffee land - this looks like just the thing for me!

JR_Germantown

#5: Post by JR_Germantown »

Granted, the traditional cappuccino does have a more frothy head. But in my opinion, the ratio defines the cappuccino. If I'm pouring milk into a 5 oz cup on top of a double shot, that's a cappuccino. If I use a larger cup, that's more milk (more "latte"), so it is a cafe latte.

Here's this morning's 5 oz cappuccino.

Jack