Can't stop getting an overextracted shot with La Colombe, Nizza - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
BaristaBob

#11: Post by BaristaBob »

Jeeheon wrote:You're able to adjust your pre-infusion time with your BDB?? Where is that in the menu?
It's easy...with the machine on, press down the up and down arrows at the same time, then release. Next press the up arrow if you want to increase preinfusion time and likewise the down arrow for less preinfusion time, then press exit to set. It's that easy.

Also you can play with the pressure (what Breville calls power...it actually throttles back the pump). Again press the up and down arrows together, then press the menu button which will allow you to move between preinfusion duration (Pd) and preinfusion power (PP). Use the up/down arrows again to adjust what I call the percentage of full power (my machine is set to 9 bars). This setting is limited to 50%-65% I believe. Set with up/down arrows, then press exit.

Give it a try, it will really enhance the flavor of lighter roast coffees.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

BaristaBob

#12: Post by BaristaBob »

Jeeheon wrote:You're able to adjust your pre-infusion time with your BDB?? Where is that in the menu?
Jeeheon,
There is another way to manually control preinfusion without using the up/down arrows. Just press and hold the Manual brew button for as long as you wish (well up to 90 seconds). If you don't change the power setting it defaults to 60%. I got this tip from another HB'er. I played with this trick today since I stay glued to my machine to watch flow anyway (since I weigh the amount in the cup). Once the first drop hits the cup, I release the button to cause full 9 bars of pressure until I achieve the desired amount in the cup then I press the Manual button again to stop flow. Our BDB is an amazing machine!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"