Can't seem to make almost any microfoam at all.

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jpan127

#1: Post by jpan127 »

Hey guys first post here, been lurking on reddit /r/coffee but they haven't been much help steaming milk wise.

I have a Gaggia Classic with a Rancilio V1 Wand. I've been practicing my milk steaming since the day I got the machine (10 days ago) and not a single time have I been able to make anything worthwhile. I've watched at least 20 youtube videos, most of the relevant threads on here and reddit, and I think (but I'm probably not) following everything to the tee.

I use whole milk, in a 20 oz pitcher. I fill the pitcher to 10 oz. Start the wand fully submerged about an inch, raise up to find the spot where it's making the TCHH noise. (This may take me 5 seconds to find it) I probably stay at this for 10-20 seconds until it starts getting pretty warm. Then I submerge it an inch and keep it swirling for another 10-20 seconds until it gets almost hot.

The milk at the end usually rises to maybe 12-13 oz which seems to be not a lot of rise. It looks great though, shiny, paint-like, glossy, etc. Few taps few swirls and I pour it into my espresso in circles. When I'm ready to start etching I get the spout about 1cm from the surface, and pour. The milk sinks under the surface and doesn't float.

It pretty much looks like this brown blend every single time. Maybe sometimes a little more white but never enough to blob. In all the tutorial videos it seems like even someone a complete beginner can at least get a fat blob floating on top, but for some reason I can't even get that.

Sorry for the frustration, I'm just kind of disappointed that changing my techniques for a dozen times hasn't changed the output. I hope you guys can give me some more pointer thanks!

Advertisement
MB

#2: Post by MB »

Having not used that machine, my guess is there's insufficient steam for that volume of milk with the equipment you have. Try 6 oz in a 12 oz pitcher (or using the pitcher you have with the 6 oz of milk, you might be able to test my guess by tilting it so it has a roundish bottom surface to let the steam roll the milk vertically). You may be getting somewhat acceptable microfoam on top but not thoroughly incorporated in the whole pitcher. It will steam quicker with less milk of course, so you will have to adjust how long you stretch and roll.
LMWDP #472

shanec

#3: Post by shanec »

Do you have a video of your steaming and pouring process? That would be very helpful to diagnose what is going on. I have had my Vetrano 2B for over two months and I am just starting to get the hang of latte art. I still have a long way to go, but I at least see great progress and know what I need to do to get better. Hang in there!

Have you tried with a smaller pitcher and a smaller volume of milk? I can get much better microfoam for latte art with 6 oz of milk in a 12 oz pitcher than 10 oz in a 20 oz pitcher.

jpan127 (original poster)

#4: Post by jpan127 (original poster) »

@MB @shanec

Thanks for replying guys, I'll put a 12 oz pitcher on my Amazon cart tonight.

@MB I'm not sure if my wand can reach that deep into the 20 oz pitcher with only 6 oz of milk.

JavaBuzz

#5: Post by JavaBuzz »

Fyi, I found it very difficult with my Gaggia Classic to get proper microfoam using the Rancilio steam wand mod. I had to temp surf with the steam setting enabled to keep the steaming from halting. This was even when using a small pitcher.

Though I never did it, I thought I was almost better off if I had switched back to the panarello wand with tape wrapped around the part where the two parts of the wand screw together. This blocks the air escaping (there's a couple "vent holes" in that area too that you want to block with the tape) and makes the panarello wand act a little more like a standard wand.

--If-- I did temp surf correctly, I could get a little better microfoam from the Rancilio wand vs modded panarello.

Once I switched to my current espresso machine, steaming/microfoam was way easier.

jpan127 (original poster)

#6: Post by jpan127 (original poster) »

@JavaBuzz

Ah that is a bummer, I see a lot of people having success on youtube though which makes me think it's still possible seeing as they aren't professional.

randomorbit

#7: Post by randomorbit »

I have the same setup, and I can make great microfoam, but there is not enough steam pressure to make good foam the way you're doing it.

Forget about "an inch" the wand will never go that deep unless you are actually trying to avoid expanding the milk, such as to make hot chocolate. BAsically you're going to start with the tip just below the surface, and open the valve slowly until it's wide open, and you see the surface rolling. As the milk starts to warm, you may not be able to keep the roll going, but you should be able to hear the good sound, and see the surface sucking air down. Once it starts to warm up, it should start to move the surface more and more. Keep adjusting the depth and angle to remain just below the surface. Forget about plunging it deep, you'll never want to do that with this setup. You'll go by sound as well as trying to get the surface rolling. Just before the milk is at full temperature you should be able to get the surface rolling good, and that's when the texture will really come together. With practice you'll be able to find just where to stop it so it doesn't get overly thick.

Advertisement
JR_Germantown

#8: Post by JR_Germantown »

One inch above the surface might be a little high, especially since that's an estimate. Are you tilting the cup to allow you to get closer? Check the distance on this pour (not mine, unfortunately):

Jack

randomorbit

#9: Post by randomorbit replying to JR_Germantown »

OP is not talking about pour height, they're talking about wand depth BENEATH the surface.

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

randomorbit wrote:OP is not talking about pour height, they're talking about wand depth BENEATH the surface.
He was indeed talking about pour height - but he said 1 cm, not 1 inch:
jpan127 wrote:When I'm ready to start etching I get the spout about 1cm from the surface, and pour.