Can’t dial in new Breville Barista Express. Need help! - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks.
HH

Postby HH » Feb 05, 2018, 6:40 pm

BillBurrGrinder wrote:Which part exactly are you referring to?

I'd jut read the whole thing if I were you - lots of good advice in there for dialling things in and getting your shots adjusted to your taste. We're all different, so me telling you how I like my shots isn't that useful. This should show you how to get a handle on doing it yourself.

chrisbodnarphoto

Postby chrisbodnarphoto » Feb 05, 2018, 7:03 pm

slipchuck wrote:I previously owned the Barista 870xl and also suggest putting 18 grams of coffee in the portafilter (make sure you weight it as close to 18 as possible)
Get a scale and weight the espresso shot to 36 grams (less if you want to increase the sweetness)
The one thing about the built in grinder is when you change from one number to the next it can big a big jump depending on the coffee.
I start the count from when the pump is full pressure (you can hear it when it does)
Start there and let us know how it tastes. Baby steps...it can and will get frustrating but hang in there it does get better :)

Randy

+1

Also - the machine isn't actually warmed up in the brief few seconds it says it is once its turned on. Run 2-3 single shots of water through the portafilter to heat the machine - it will help immensely!

BillBurrGrinder

Postby BillBurrGrinder » Feb 05, 2018, 9:49 pm

No offense but, I think some of you are jumping to conclusions a little bit and not reading my post closely? I posted that I used fresh coffee (it was roasted 8 days before I bought it), I explained the reason for ordering Lavazza was (which I know is never fresh) is general pop likes it and I posted some of the specs I am going by as I do understand the basics of tweaking grind, quantity, temp, brew time, brew ratio, consistent tamp pressure, consistent everything.

Where I need help is I think my brew ratio is not changing no matter what I do...always 1:3 or a little more. And my shots all taste very strong dark and bitter (funny because that description can be good too...even with a little bitterness)

I am measuring the beans with a .1g scale before grinding (dry cleaning grinder after each shot)

Preheat machine 30min prior to everything.

Example:

14.5g in

Preheat group head, portafilter, mug, by running 2 empty shots
Wipe PF & mug dry, grind coffee into PF stopping halfway to knock on counter, tamp approx 28lb / tamp ring flush & level with PF rim.

Lock single wall double shot basket PF in place, hit double shot button and timer on my iPhone

23 seconds shot stops

Instantly weigh the shot of espresso and watch the weight drop a little

44g out

(scale still set with cup tare)

2floz shot with crema

Crema looks good. Brown with a gold finish. Nice consistency too (not airy big bubbles) and the stream was even and uniform between the two spouts. Didn't blonde too early either.

Very strong and bitter, dark

I then rinse and repeat with changing the grind...same results or worse (although time may vary 20-30s)

Change dose up (all stronger, more bitter)

Always giving me a 1:3ish ratio?!?! Am I confused at how brew ratio is measured? Weigh dry coffee then weigh extracted shot?

I am a little confused at how brew ratio is controlled since mine doesn't change all that much between changes.

I tried a few 18g shots but this coffee is really fluffy and although I can tamp it just fine, I have to remove the PF and knock it or use my hand to level it 3, 4, 5 times to not lose it all, overflowing the basket so much.

Trying a different coffee (Lavazza) just to see if it i get similar results...if not, maybe the local roaster doesn't know what they are doing and so much for fresh coffee lol.

BillBurrGrinder

Postby BillBurrGrinder » Feb 05, 2018, 10:02 pm

Also....thank you all for the tips and support. Yes, I am frustrated...need coffee :D

slipchuck

Postby slipchuck replying to BillBurrGrinder » Feb 05, 2018, 10:41 pm

All of us has been there. Are you using the double shot button or running the shots manually?
I gave up on the automatic dosing and just push the setup button, push the double shot button and when the dose gets to the proper weight then hit the double shot button again to stop the dose.

Hope this makes sense

Randy
The only bad decisions are the decisions you didn't make

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Feb 05, 2018, 10:51 pm

Brew ratio is measured by the weight of the ground coffee and the weight of the final beverage. For example 18g:36g or 1:2.

Please note that on your machine, if you just push the 1 cup or 2 cup button, it will go for a set amount of time or volume. Do not do that. Use the manual function.

For clarity, not to insult you...

Tare your portafilter on your scale, grind into it and weigh the portafilter with the ground coffee in it. 14.5, 15, 18, what ever you do, pick a number and stick with it.

Then, lock the portafilter in the group head. Place the scale on the drip tray, and your cup on it. Tare the cup. The scale should now be at zero.

Next start a MANUAL pour. DO NOT JUST PUSH 1 cup or 2 cup. I think on your machine you push and hold the 1 cup button for the amount of time you want to pre-infuse (i suggest something like 5 seconds or whatever the default time is when you just press the 1 cup button) then release it and it will go at full pressure. Now that it is at full pressure, watch the scale and stop the shot by pushing the 1 cup button again when it reaches your target weight. Most scales will have a lag. On mine, if I want a 36 gram beverage, i need to cut it around 32 grams.

Note, I used to have your machine. In the end I reprogrammed the one cup button to pull for like 60 seconds, that way i could just push the one cup button and watch the scale until i needed to end the shot, then you just push the button again to stop the shot.

Another note, some grinders can give you screwey results if their hoppers do not have beans in them weighting down the beans that are moving into the burrs. This makes it hard to dial in your grinder. Not having enough beans in the grinder to can cause something called pop-corning which results in the beans being ground irregularly. I don't know if this happens on your grinder, but as you are troubleshooting, you should try to eliminate things that could be messing you up. I would say you should always have 1/3 - 1/2 lb coffee or so in the hopper of that grinder. Once you have your brew ratio situation cleared up, you can go back to single dosing your grinder and see if it makes a difference if you care to.

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Feb 05, 2018, 10:52 pm

Randy beat me to it and said it much more concisely! :oops:

BillBurrGrinder

Postby BillBurrGrinder » Feb 05, 2018, 11:16 pm

lancealot wrote:Brew ratio is measured by the weight of the ground coffee and the weight of the final beverage. For example 18g:36g

For clarity, not to insult you...

Tare your portafilter on your scale, grind into it and weigh the portafilter with the ground coffee in it. 14.5, 15, 18, what ever you do, pick a number and stick with it.

Then, lock the portafilter in the group head. Place the scale on the drip tray, and your cup on it. Tare the cup. The scale should now be at zero.

Ok so I was on the money with brew ratio...but what you said that confused me was stopping the brew early. Wouldn't that be a similar brew ratio...just less overall coffee? I know each second counts but stopping before the Crema? So if I stopped it at 1.5 fluid oz instead of 2, doesn't mean the brew ratio is now correct (correct me if I'm wrong).

The issue isn't my weighing method....already doing this. The idea of no pressure on the grinding beans is interesting though, I will test that to see if it makes a difference.

Oh plus....if I stop it sooner, I think it would be more bitter and strong? It is definitely not sour but more like a bitter grapefruit peel. If I could put that flavor way in the background it would be interesting.

lancealot

Postby lancealot » Feb 05, 2018, 11:45 pm

BillBurrGrinder wrote:I know each second counts but stopping before the Crema? So if I stopped it at 1.5 fluid oz instead of 2,

1- i honestly have no idea what you are talking about when you say "stop before the crema."
2 - are you mixing fluid volume and weight? The shot is not stopped at any fluid measure. Forget fluid measure. Only stop it. By weight.

BillBurrGrinder

Postby BillBurrGrinder replying to lancealot » Feb 05, 2018, 11:52 pm

I mean before the Crema has a chance to blonde.

If I stop at weight and nothing else, wouldn't that give me "Risettro"? Or am I missing something here.

Sponsored by intelligentsiacoffee.com
www.intelligentsiacoffee.com: home of the black cat project