Can someone explain to me how pouring a single espresso works?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
matthewh133

#1: Post by matthewh133 »

My wife prefers a single shot as to keep her caffeine intake down. I have a double IMS precision nanotech basket (18g) that I use for my shots with my Mara X, but I'm unsure how to pull a single shot. Should I be buying a smaller basket, and if so, which one would you guys recommend?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Nunas »

Most machines come with a single and double basket. I'd hazard a guess that 90% of us never use the single. They're hard to get "just right"; I don't know why. If you don't mind the extra caffeine, pull a split double into two cups and give your wife one of them. Pull another double into the second cup and treat yourself to a triple. :wink:

Advertisement
Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

As Nunas said...
Or save the extra shots in the fridge and pour a bit about ml over a bowl of real vanilla ice cream, then sprinkle some finely ground coffee and shreds of dark chocolate over the top. I would probably light up a Tueros Gold Cuban to enjoy after if I could get one here!
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

matthewh133 (original poster)

#4: Post by matthewh133 (original poster) »

Thanks guys, appreciate the insight. Guess I'll just pull a split double and find a use for the other half 8)

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

Nunas wrote:I'd hazard a guess that 90% of us never use the single. They're hard to get "just right"; I don't know why.
Jim Schulman scoffed at this in his video below:
Full disclosure: I have at least a half-dozen single baskets, all unused. :lol:
Dan Kehn

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

Randy G. wrote:As Nunas said...
Or save the extra shots in the fridge and pour a bit about ml over a bowl of real vanilla ice cream, then sprinkle some finely ground coffee and shreds of dark chocolate over the top. I would probably light up a Tueros Gold Cuban to enjoy after if I could get one here!
QMG!!! How Decadent :lol:

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. replying to Nunas »

Oh, sure... Scoff, you who in Canada who can get Cuban cigars! :mrgreen:
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done