Bring back the portafilter tap? - Page 3

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
DamianWarS

#21: Post by DamianWarS »

JohnB. wrote:Dents in the pf? :lol: I've always just tapped the bottomless pf on the counter to settle the grounds.
I do vertical taps on the forks of the grinder or counter with added palm taps for horizontal distribution.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#22: Post by emradguy »

Going from a Mazzer Major doser to a Kafatek Monolith Flat, has brought me to static land - even with RDT. I'm running 19g shots, using 3 spritzes from the supplied spray bottle. If I spritz 4 times, beans stick to the funnel wall. If I spritz less, the static effect is worse. So, yeah, 3 spritzes seems about right for my environment. It's tolerable, but I'm still hoping that with the Houston summer coming, the humidity will be high enough to tame it even more. Anyhow, I use WDT, then use the needle to try and level out to top layer. If it still looks uneven, I give it all a side to side wiggle, but often I skip that. Then I do one firm straight down tap on rubber (usually my Cafelat tamping stand). This settles the grinds well and pretty much kills all remaining static, dropping all of the stray grinds from the funnel to the puck. Then I groom with my Motta distribution tool and follow it with a tamp. My tamper is set deeper than the Motta tool. Though the Monolith and need for RDT are new (about 3 weeks or so) in my routine, haven't seen channeling in a very, very long time using the rest of my flow.
LMWDP #748

jpender

#23: Post by jpender »

When I first started with espresso last year I observed that people stirred their grounds with needles, toothpicks, and all sorts of rather expensive stirrers. So I stirred my grounds. Then I stopped stirring and everything was fine, for a while. Minor issues cropped up and I began stirring again. Then I started tapping and that seemed to help. Then a side to side shake. Now I stir, shake, tap, tamp, and dance a little jig. I have no idea what any of these things really does or, from coffee to coffee, how well they actually work. It's voodoo. But I believe in it, sort of.
★ Helpful

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

jpender wrote:It's voodoo. But I believe in it, sort of.
:D
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

ojt

#25: Post by ojt »

Pretty much what everyone said. I used to tap and still do sometimes - like when my current, very unreliable, scale decides to overdose for me - but since I got IMS precision baskets I notice I really don't need to tap. Only one light vertical tap on the counter. I prefer not to tap though as I have seen it detach the coffee from the basket walls.

My routine is grind, shake in the receiver (using Kinu), throw into the basket, stir / WDT, tamp. And then... the paper filter on top! :D

Yeah, like jpender said, it's a lot like voodoo and we all have our own little dance.
Osku

mrjag

#26: Post by mrjag »

emradguy wrote:...Though the Monolith and need for RDT are new (about 3 weeks or so) in my routine, haven't seen channeling in a very, very long time using the rest of my flow.
So this will obviously depend on your frequency of use, but the excessive static on the Kafatek goes away after a month or so. Consider it part of the break-in period of the burrs. I would periodically try not spraying and see if anything changes.

emradguy
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by emradguy replying to mrjag »

I'm pulling 3-5 shots a day, so hopefully this static will go away soon. This is the 9th grinder I've bought new and I've replaced burrs just a few times, :D , once because the old ones were worn and twice to upgrade...but it's the first time I've seen static like this.
LMWDP #748