Brew ratio for my espresso - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
jonathan.khong

#11: Post by jonathan.khong »

Jeff wrote:The Robot is not very fussy about temperature at all. It is much easier to manage than a La Pavoni.

There is a long thread here Cafelat Robot User Experience

For many, many reasons, that is not a video that I would strive to repeat.

The fineness of the grinds is only one part of a grinder being suitable for espresso. It also needs to be both uniform and easily and finely controllable in grind, preferably without steps. Even with a machine as good as a Robot, a $160 Delonghi KG89 grinder is likely to be the limit and that limit may be before you can reliably make good espresso.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks so much for the help.
If I got a Baratza Virtuoso as a starter, will that suffice as a beginner addition to the Robot?

Jonathan.

mad_nassos

#12: Post by mad_nassos »

Hello everyone! I am new here!

I hope my question is not completely irrelevant, but I googled XP3208 and I think this is the only thread that somebody mentions this machine.

I purchased XP3208 about a year ago. I then accidentally discovered James Hoffman - instantly became a subscriber - so I realised that my selection wasn't the best.
However, it's my first espresso machine and I am happy that I can finally try ANY coffee I like and not depend on the cafeterias' choices.

Having said that, I still have a problem with the machine and I haven't found any solution yet.
When I buy certain brands, the machine refuses to make coffee... The extraction lasts for about 2 seconds and then it stops. The machine keeps trying, but it cannot finish the process. So, I turn it off and remove the portafilter and the basket is filled with water on top of the coffee.
In the beginning, I thought that a pipe must be malfunctioning or something similar.
Nevertheless, if I tried to brew a different brand, it would work properly.
After repeating the process with the "problematic" coffee, I realised that the machine would actually make coffee if I don't press the coffee with the tamper. All these efforts have been made with 12.5 to 13 grams of coffee, using the 2 cup filter.

As a result, I can only guess that the basket is rubbish, but I don't know if there is a compatible replacement.
I've heard James Hoffman talking about these VST baskets, but they seem wider.

Now, you may say, and I won't argue, that this may be a matter of grinding, so I must find the grind size.
Unfortunately, I don't own a grinder, so I purchase coffee from different stores, even the supermarket (especially during the lockdown).

Can you suggest a reliable compatible basket or any other advice for my problem?

// I am not a native speaker, so I'm not familiar with the espresso terminology; I hope my post gives the full picture :oops:

DamianWarS

#13: Post by DamianWarS replying to mad_nassos »

The problem probably is the grind is too fine and it is jamming the machine. machines like the XP3208 use 15 bar of pressure with a pressurized portafilter (PF). A machine like that is trying to compensate for a pour grind and usually is better with a corser grind. The 15 bar will compress the puck more and the pressurized PF ensures it hits a certain pressure before it exits the machine. Typical machines have 9 bar of pressure which have less compression power being pushed on the puck and the non-pressurized PF means resistance is from the coffee not the PF (or basket). If you have a grinder I would grind coarser but your research is correct that the XP3208 isn't the best machine on the market. If your able and are serious about espresso I would invest in a better machine. If you're a Hoffmann fan he just posted a new video getting a set up in a budget. Might be something to consider for your next purchase.