Brew espresso or steam milk first? - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Betenoire (original poster)

#11: Post by Betenoire (original poster) »

Got it ... I'll give it a try. To cool down the water/boiler I thought I'd just purge until the light came on and let it re-heat.
While I'm on this thread, maybe someone has a thought or two on this -- what is the minimum amount of milk you can use to froth? I use very little for a cap and I'd like to waste as little as possible, but with the Silvia the steamer is so powerful it seems to scald when there's not enough milk. Thoughts?

Rich

Bob_McBob

#12: Post by Bob_McBob »

Betenoire wrote:While I'm on this thread, maybe someone has a thought or two on this -- what is the minimum amount of milk you can use to froth?
I use 150g per drink in a 12oz pitcher, steamed with the 2 hole tip that came with my Duetto. I also have a 4 hole tip I sometimes use for lattes, but I find it far too powerful for small quantities.
Chris

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

Betenoire wrote:what is the minimum amount of milk you can use to froth?
Rich
About one ounce but it takes a very steady hand on the steam valve to control the steam output.
Dave Stephens

randytsuch

#14: Post by randytsuch »

I thought of a couple other things.

Do you preheat your portafilter? I leave mine loosely attached to my machine, until the basket is ready, then I just get it, put in the basket, and pull the shot. I have a naked PF, so it probably does not matter much, if you have a standard PF, and don't preheat it, it will cool down the shot.

You could also try temp surfing. If you search on temp surfing silvia, I'm sure you'll find lots of information on it. This is really to help pull a better shot, but it should at least make it so the shot is always the same temp when you pull it.

Randy

Betenoire (original poster)

#15: Post by Betenoire (original poster) »

Great suggestions ... will try both heating portafilter and cups ... have a feeling it'll make a big difference. Feeling a little more sanguine about my Silvia now ... Many thanks.