Breville Oracle Touch - Brew Ratio/Dose

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
janicedrinkscoffee

#1: Post by janicedrinkscoffee »

Hi there,

I've been reading your site for about a year and have found lots of great info. I started out thinking about getting a Rocket Appartamento and a grinder, but realized that I'd end up with a machine that I was the only one who knew how to use it in my house.

Enter the Breville Oracle Touch.

I've been dialling it in all weekend, using the onboard grinder (I know...I know), fresh locally roasted beans, and a scale.

The 'issue' i'm coming across is that it does an automatic dose of 24g. For a while, I didn't weigh the dose and was going for the '30g in 30s' thing (just to get close to good, but after I weighed the dose, it made me think that I should be aiming for a greater output during that time.

So my question - would you say my starting goal should be 48g of espresso in the cup in approx 30s (given a dose of 24g of dry coffee)? Does the 30s time shift higher when you have such a big starting dose?

ETA: My 30 second timer includes a 6 second preinfusion - first drip of espresso comes out at about 10 seconds.

Thanks so much for (hopefully) helping a newbie start off on the right foot.

jchung

#2: Post by jchung »

I believe a general rule of thumb as a starting point is a 2:1 ratio. 2g out for every 1g in. So for a 24g basket, you want 48g in the cup.

But this is just a starting point. if it works for you, great! If not, adjust as needed. I believe there is an article here on HB that gives guidance on adjusting by taste.

janicedrinkscoffee (original poster)

#3: Post by janicedrinkscoffee (original poster) »

Thanks so much. That is mostly what I've been doing and so far so good. I think my only outstanding question was whether the 48g of espresso should still be produced in the 30 second (or so) window.

slipchuck

#4: Post by slipchuck replying to janicedrinkscoffee »

25-30 and sometimes 35 seconds works. Go by taste and you will be all set! :)
Great to hear it's working out for you!

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”