Breville 920XL Single Shot Advice

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
KoffeeNewb

#1: Post by KoffeeNewb »

Recently purchased the infamous BDB!

Any tips for single shot espresso using this machine?

I seem to be getting about an ounce in 30 secs, which I think is the target, not sure

Thank you!

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

My advice is, make a double shot!
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
JavaBuzz

#3: Post by JavaBuzz »

I actually really like the shots I've gotten out of the single shot basket that comes with the BDB (dosing about 10gr of coffee in it)...

(Big) however, because of the shape of the basket, I found I needed a 57mm convex tamper (58mm convex might work too) to get a decent tamp on it. The tamper still bottoms out on the sides of the basket, though not as horribly as a flat tamper, and that keeps the tamp level too.

So basically, you might be better off sticking with the double shot basket like sweaner said. :)

LukeFlynn

#4: Post by LukeFlynn »

I've always been underwhelmed by single shot baskets. Evidently it's a big thing over in Italy.

I think you'll end up with a lot less frustration, sink shots, and wasted coffee if you hone in your skills with the double basket.

Jared

#5: Post by Jared »

I agree with the others. I was never able to get a single shot basket to work well with my Gaggia Classic either.

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#6: Post by EspressoForge »

My advice for good singles is to pick up a Single IMS basket. They work very similar to a double basket and you can use close to the same grind size.

Otherwise my experience with other singles is that you'll have to grind a decent amount finer. If you have a secondary grinder it's perfect for singles since for me it's too much of a pain to switch back and forth...until I got the IMS.