Bottomless versus double spout portafilter

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
bobkat
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by bobkat »

So.......I do not have a lot of experience making espresso. I have been using a double spout PF with my Synchronika for about 9 months....17 grams for 27 seconds. My wife and I were OK with that. Today, I tried using the same dose with a bottomless PF. The result was much darker, stronger and more flavorful. Do you think the difference was the portafilter?

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

As the spouts are below the bottom of the basket, what bottomless vs. spouted can influence is limited.

One possibility is that the spouts might lower the temperature of the overall system, which might reduce the brew temperature. That's a guess.

Another set of possibilities are around that it is just "normal variance" or that the sight and scent of the coffee flowing effortlessly from the bottomless enhanced your overall morning.

Jake_G
Team HB

#3: Post by Jake_G »

Did you swap baskets from the spouted to the bottomless, or use the basket that came with the bottomless?

Changing baskets changes basically everything.

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

bobkat wrote:I have been using a double spout PF with my Synchronika for about 9 months... Today, I tried using the same dose with a bottomless PF. The result was much darker, stronger and more flavorful. Do you think the difference was the portafilter?
Absolutely not. There is no reason why you'd get a "stronger" shot by changing portafilters. But as Jake notes, changing baskets could easily account for a different extraction.

This question takes me back to the early days of the bottomless PF (15+ years ago). IIRC the only difference in shots was slightly smoother crema from the regular PF.
John

bobkat (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by bobkat (original poster) »

YES!!!! I did change baskets! The bottomless has its own basket that won't fit my double PF. That probably made the difference in extraction. Thank you!

jgood

#6: Post by jgood »

Congrats ! I am mystified why spouted PFs still exist - the bottomless will improve you technique.

mrgnomer

#7: Post by mrgnomer »

I found double spout portafilters let you split an easier double shot into two singles. Pulling two separate more finicky single shots is more work. I think the streams coming out of the spouts looks good too. But if you want to improve your technique try single basket shots.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

Several times I've nearly ordered a Pesado spouted as "turbo" shots aren't the neatest things to pull.

The main thing that holds me back is that I'd be washing out the spouts in addition to wiping down the machine every day.

mrgnomer

#9: Post by mrgnomer » replying to Jeff »

Yeah, but if you've got wood knobs and wood portafilter handles that you feel obligated to wipe off, oil and polish after every session along with polishing up your machine, scrubbing down a spouted portafilter just adds to the obsession pleasure.

To be honest I mostly still use an open portafilter. It takes any basket, even triples, it leaves more space to fit taller cups, you can tamp it without the need of a tamping stand, you don't have to pop it out to clean the bottom just flip it over and I find it really helps with technique and tuning in a dose/grind when you can see the extraction. Not so rewarding to have a shot spit on you or all over your shiny machine but really rewarding to watch viscous drips form and drift together in a tiger striped central stream that hits a timed volume target before any significant blonding. Bummer when that ideal shot doesn't taste so good. Oh well, time to try again.
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

baldheadracing
Team HB

#10: Post by baldheadracing »

The Cafelat Convertible portafilter is also stainless like the Pesado. Stainless steel makes a huge difference in clean-up. I find the Cafelat the easiest to clean of my spouted portafilters (the others are plated brass). The base with spouts pops off so it is easy to clean them at the same time as the basket(s).

One other advantage of the Cafelat is it can accommodate my deepest "triple" basket (VST-25) with the spouts on, so split shots can each have 13+g coffee contributing. However, that depth can also a disadvantage as the Cafelat is deeper than typical spouted portafilters, so cup clearance is reduced. Somewhat ironically, the deeper depth of the Cafelat will shroud normal double baskets (EPNW 14, VST-15, etc.) a bit when used as a naked portafilter, somewhat containing turbo spray.

(I don't regularly pull turbo shots, and use the Cafelat naked unless I am splitting shots.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada