Bottomless portafilter: Rat tail "tail of the mouse" or rain drops, does it matter?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SD Rick

#1: Post by SD Rick »

I am slowly getting more proficient pulling shots with a naked porta filter. I am using 15 and 18 g IMS baskets at nine bar for 25 to 30 seconds achieving the desired dose, sometimes with pre-infusion others not. Fortunately, I am not getting any channeling sprays that make a mess of things

My concern is that my shots, while presenting evenly dispersed through the porta filter screen, are like raindrops, never coalescing into a center stream that looks so pretty. Is this a defect in my prep, or the nature of the basket or?

Davi-L

#2: Post by Davi-L »

I think the original Italian term was 'the tail of the mouse'.
Can you taste the difference?
That's where the buck stops.
How does it taste to you?
D.

SD Rick (original poster)

#3: Post by SD Rick (original poster) »

The taste is very good, but would it taste better with a "tail of the mouse"?

To me, I know what looks better.

Cuprajake

#4: Post by Cuprajake »

Tates is what matters.

Looks are for Instagram

You can have ugly shots that taste great.

Stick it in a spouted pf and jobs done

#5: Post by SD Rick (original poster) »

Yes, I think I'm at the point that I can use the spouted pf. I found the naked very helpful during the learning curve.

espressoren

#6: Post by espressoren »

It will depend on the beans, basket, grind, flow rate, and fluid dynamics. For example, a fresh dark roast or one with robusta is likely to be drawn together into a giant cone via surface tension and large amounts of thick foam/crema produced. Lighter roasts or slower extractions will rain, or if using the newer flat machined baskets you may get multiple evenly spaced thin streams.
★ Helpful

JordanK
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JordanK »

espressoren wrote:It will depend on the beans, basket, grind, flow rate, and fluid dynamics.
That is definitely my experience, especially bean type. Switch beans, keeping prep and recipe the same, and what I see under the basket can change dramatically. Lighter roasts seem less likely to coalesce in what I've noticed, but I just used a med-dark roast that came out looking terrible... Other beans nearly the same roast level but different origin gives me instagram worthy tiger-striped beauties every time. I do like the pretty ones (it really is very pretty!), but ultimately it's what goes in your mouth that matters!

mrgnomer

#8: Post by mrgnomer »

Baskets might make a difference too depending on beans. The 15g VST basket I use is coated. For darker classic style roasts it coalesces but for light roasts it tends to shower more and extract faster.

This is an interesting basket discussion.

Seeking Expert Opinions: The Influence of Espresso Baskets
Kirk
LMWDP #116
professionals do it for the pay, amateurs do it for the love

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

Pull an Italian-style coffee at 1:1 to 1:1.5 for those luscious instagram shots .

#10: Post by SD Rick (original poster) »

As long as we are on this topic, would a shot pulled with a pretty tail and shot pulled showing drops taste any different?