Bottomless Portafilter Mess - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
emradguy
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by emradguy »

Quick reply on your distribution issue you mentioned at the end...

Why don't you try to even thing out right after WDT, and then tap it down after that. Or even go straight to tamp once it's evened out.
LMWDP #748

erik82

#32: Post by erik82 »

You're slowly getting there, which is normal! Is the grinder new and how much coffee have you run through it? Burrs that aren't seasoned yet can cause these problems and that should go away after 20lbs.

walt_in_hawaii

#33: Post by walt_in_hawaii »

You are making excellent progress and you've got the tools to finesse your way into a great cup (hopefully soon)!
Bravo! Personally, I think its the journey that contains more value than the attainment of your goal; so, have a great one.
oh... you do have to get yourself a scale capable of finer discrimination, 0.1g ish.

Marty

#34: Post by Marty »

Personally, I think its the journey that contains more value than the attainment of your goal
Now this is an interesting statement which I found to be very true, even to the point of being a slight bit bored when your goal has been reached. All the time you spent researching and experimenting sorta leaves a void once you have arrived! :shock:

However, I am sure you will move on to another part of the process and do it there all over again :D Heck, even changing to a different bean will likely mean more adjustments and time spent. Enjoy the ride and the cup.

Sideshow

#35: Post by Sideshow »

Marty wrote:Now this is an interesting statement which I found to be very true, even to the point of being a slight bit bored when your goal has been reached. All the time you spent researching and experimenting sorta leaves a void once you have arrived! :shock:
How sad :cry:

lancealot

#36: Post by lancealot »

I can relate to Marty's sentiment. For me it was like, "oh yeah, it's just coffee."

What has gotten me excited now is using my competency to start exploring new beans. I can find a new or novel or different experience and that is fun but it is not like the stars have aligned for me or anything.

Marty

#37: Post by Marty »

Right, that's what I mean, you'll simply move on to something else, could be beans, a new grinder or machine or trying to reduce some of the variables in the whole process but you'll be enjoying great coffee in the meantime. I'm on my fifth espresso machine and second grinder. Each changed required climbing the learning curve and challenges. It'll probably never end if you're that sort of person. . .. Well, ok, one day it will all end! :shock:

breadline (original poster)

#38: Post by breadline (original poster) »

I'm back from the trip. While I was out of town I tried a couple of espressos at cafes to see how they were different from what I was making. At both cafes I went to the espresso tasted more mellow and smooth / even than what I've been making, and less acidic. But not too huge of a difference I'd like to say! I think I'm going to try a blend soon to see if if it's a little more mellow and smooth than the single origins I've been using.

Also this morning I tried recording an extraction on my phone to show how it's going now. Unfortunately my phone's camera isn't great quality and I had trouble getting a good angle
It's hard to see in the video but the espresso is still running out of the portafilter faster in some parts than in others, but overall a massive improvement over where I started. I wish I had filmed a before clip for a before and after, but with how much spraying there was that might not have been very safe. Thanks to everyone here for their help. I'm going to keep reading and practicing to get even more even extractions

Marty

#39: Post by Marty »

From what I could tell, that looked like a pretty nice pour. Couldn't tell what the timing and volume was though. Also didn't notice it running faster in some areas than others but am also not so sure that matters. How did it taste?

Remember to pick a tamping pressure you're comfortable with and stick to it...then adjust your grind to obtain your desired results.

erik82

#40: Post by erik82 »

That looks very nice and you're doing a great job. This looks much better than what I thought it would be from your posts. Still some improvement possible but these pours should give a very good espresso. Just practice some more and you'll be just fine.