Bitter taste. What am I doing wrong?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JoEYC

#1: Post by JoEYC »

Hey guys. I'm very new to this and hoping to get some help. I have the Capresso EC Pro and breville dose control grinder. I'm pulling a double shot (2oz) in 20-24 seconds and getting a real bitter taste. Also Using Lavazzi super crema beans. What am I doing wrong?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by jwCrema »

Honestly, I still look at this to double check what I am going to do before I tweak something.

Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Your shot timing is good.

Try experimenting with finer grinds/less beans or coarser grid/more beans. These combos will give roughly the same timing, since the resistance of the puck will remain the same. But the extraction levels will change, also changing the taste. The usual advice for excessive bitterness is to go to coarser grinds and higher doses; but Italian bar blends are designed for very fine grinds and low doses (i.e. to save money), so that direction may work better.

Best of luck
Jim Schulman

JoEYC (original poster)

#4: Post by JoEYC (original poster) replying to another_jim »

Thanks guys!!!

I'll give this a try and see how it works. I did originally try a coarser grind and it did lose the bitter taste but the shot pulled way too fast at 11sec. I have to invest in a scale but I'll try the finer grind/less beans in the meantime and keep you posted.

Thank you

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

This blend also has a Robusta component:

"Lavazza Super Crema whole bean espresso roast combines washed and unwashed Arabica and washed Robusta coffee beans that originate from Brazil, Central America, and Indonesia."

That will impart a bitterness (and a jittery-ness) that you might not find with 100% Arabica blends.

I'd follow Jim's advice and go with a traditional Italian approach and match the grind with a 14g doppio espresso.

IPW20X

#6: Post by IPW20X »

How old are your beans? Maybe try a different bean? Say, Verve or other medium to light roast?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by jwCrema »

I have had this scale several years - with daily use it has been flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Digi ... +precision

Advertisement
pcrussell50

#8: Post by pcrussell50 »

Along the lines of what David said... Your canned beans are not 100% Arabica. They are blended with Robusta, which makes great crema, but tastes bad to most tongues. Heck any crema even from Arabica beans tastes bad. So along those lines, I'd try spooning off the crema as much as you can and then trying the shot. Or strirring it till it dissipates as your easiest first plan of attack.

Then I'd try a different bean. Most metro areas, (not just Seattle San Francisco New York Los Angeles anymore) have local roasters. Get a bag with a date on it that is hopefully not much more than a week since roast and give it a try. Avoid extremes at first... Not so dark it's oily, or super light. Work with that and let your taste and skills come together from there.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

ArchieCoffee
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by ArchieCoffee »

jwCrema wrote:I have had this scale several years - with daily use it has been flawless.

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-Digi ... +precision
+1
Using a scale rather than volumetric measurements is the best thing you can do to improve your espresso (aside from upgrading the grinder). Different beans/blends have different levels of crema, so 2oz of one coffee can be a totally different weight than an equal volume of another. Rather than the old "2oz in 25-30 secs" rule, try using a ratio of ground coffee to finished beverage weight. For example: if I start with 18g of of ground coffee in the portafilter, and I want to try a basic 1:2 ratio, I'll stop the shot when the espresso gets to 36g on the scale (well, actually, you stop the shot about 2 grams or so BEFORE, so that when it's done dripping you have 36g).
Different coffees taste best with different ratios. For the blend I'm currently brewing, I use a 1:1.8 ratio. If I wanted to make a ristretto, that would be a 1:1 ratio.
Does all that make sense? I know it seems like a lot, but if you can start with a scale and ratios, you have a much better idea of what is happening in your shot than if you just use ounces and time.
Also- remember that "time" is the LAST variable that you want to deal with. As long as you're in a decent time range (e.g. 24-28 sec, 25-30 secs), what matters in the final output weight and the TASTE. If you adjust the grind a tad finer to get more sweetness and the shot takes a tiny bit longer, that's ok, as long as it's in an acceptable time range. Time is just a rough guide to figure out if you're in the right range with your grind, but it's not an exact parameter.
Sorry to go on so long, but I hope that helps! Happy brewing!

ArchieCoffee
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by ArchieCoffee »

Oh- one more thing.
Bitter taste can easily be caused by a dirty machine. Coffee residue can build up and become rancid and nasty. Make sure that you're cleaning your machine regularly.