Bitter espresso, channeling issues - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Mike45 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Mike45 (original poster) »

First espresso of the morning and its much improved from yesterday! So the things I changed were 1. Switched to a slower flowing basket, 2. Used wdt in the dosing cup before putting in the portafilter and then was more aggressive with wdt in the portafilter too and 3. I noticed that my manual says to use 40 lbs of tamping pressure so I started tamping harder. The extraction looked very even and tastes great. Thanks for all the help yesterday!

kittenmittons
Supporter ♡

#12: Post by kittenmittons »

Just got my Profitec Go and I've got major channeling issues as well. It's not me, it's the machine to any one who wants to cry puck prep or operator error. I used it alongside my Pro 400 with the literal same basket and prep which includes WDT and pulled multiple shots. I'm using an HG-1 Prime grinder so one of the best out there with consistently fluffy non clumpy grinds. Consistent channeling in the same spot with the Go and not a bit of channeling on the Pro 400. We may just have lemons. Bad shower screen or something of the sort.

kittenmittons
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by kittenmittons »

This was later in the day at my office where I was using a Kinu M47 and more of the same.

RJB83
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by RJB83 »

Try using a norm core puck screen and see if you continue to have the same issue

kittenmittons
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by kittenmittons »

I could but would prefer not to add another step and I haven't had a need to do that with my Classika, Pro 600 and Pro 400 over the years. I plan on taking the shower screen off and adjusting it tomorrow when back at the office. Hopefully that does the trick.

Tlw12

#16: Post by Tlw12 »

I have never had good luck with Black Cat. Not the kind of taste I'm looking for.

kittenmittons
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by kittenmittons »

Much better results since adjusting dispersion plate and shower screen. I believe the holes may have been lined up providing a fast flow to that one spot.

Very happy with the Go and would recommend for any new users or those looking to upgrade from breville or gaggia.