Best way to remove less then a gram of coffee?

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
slipchuck

#1: Post by slipchuck »

Let's say I have 18.3 grams and want an end result of 18.0. What is the best method of removing the extra grinds without making a big disruption of your coffee in the portafilter?

Randy
“There is nobody you can’t learn to like once you’ve heard their story.”

Ellejaycafe

#2: Post by Ellejaycafe »

A small spoon. Pretty simple.
LMWDP #544

Advertisement
Sideshow

#3: Post by Sideshow »

Just take grounds out in small pinches, weigh, then distribute. No risk of disrupting distribution if you weigh first.

AndyPanda

#4: Post by AndyPanda »

sweaner

#5: Post by sweaner »

slipchuck wrote:Let's say I have 18.3 grams and want an end result of 18.0. What is the best method of removing the extra grinds without making a big disruption of your coffee in the portafilter?

Randy
Why?
Scott
LMWDP #248

BaristaBoy E61

#6: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

I use a 'Curette', a long, 2-sided small 'spoon' used in chemistry labs.

The smaller end is also perfect for sampling a single drop of espresso, at anytime during the extraction, from a naked portafilter without seriously affecting the shot.

"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by Peppersass »

slipchuck wrote:Let's say I have 18.3 grams and want an end result of 18.0. What is the best method of removing the extra grinds without making a big disruption of your coffee in the portafilter?
Unless you're doing scientific measurements (e.g., trying to calculate extraction yield), don't remove the excess and pull a tad more beverage (e.g., 0.6g more for a Normale.) Less than 0.5g will have minimal effect on flow rate and taste in the cup.

Advertisement
bettysnephew

#8: Post by bettysnephew »

Since you are referencing removing such a small amount, be sure to lift the portafilter from the scale and set it back down gently. The most consistent accuracy is obtained by weighing in the same direction. i.e. Always weighing on an increasing value will be more accurate than weighing on the increase initially and then subtracting while on the scale platform. This applies to both electronic and balance beam scales.
Suffering from EAS (Espresso Acquisition Syndrome)
LMWDP #586

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

slipchuck wrote:What is the best method of removing the extra grinds without making a big disruption of your coffee in the portafilter?
I do that all the time using the "bowed finger" swipe (see Grounds Distribution Technique for more details). Essentially it's the Stockfleths Move for Dummies with your finger bowed downward instead of straight. It's limited to small reductions, right around the 0.3 grams range you mentioned. For the coordination challenged, a swipe with the doser lid works too.
Dan Kehn

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#10: Post by RapidCoffee »

slipchuck wrote:What is the best method of removing the extra grinds without making a big disruption of your coffee in the portafilter?
This is a non-issue if you use WDT, which allows you to adjust dose and distribution independently.
John